I'll wait...

I left Brook's room, walking into the corridor. Rye was stood there, resting against the wall. He raised his eyebrows at me in a silent question. How did it go?

"We're over." I said, fiddling with my ring. "It was mutual. He's in love with somebody else, so it wasn't fair to carry on dating. We're friends. That's it."

Rye just nodded his head.

"That's good." He looked up at me. "Right?"

"Yeah. Of course." I said. But really, I wasn't sure. Brook might have moved on, but there was still a part of me that loved him in that way. And for that part of me to disappear, I needed time to heal.

I followed after Rye as he headed down the stairs. I checked I had everything and opened the front door.

"Where are you going?" Rye asked, as he left the kitchen and walked up to me.

"I'm off home. I mean, me and Brook juts broke up. I have no reason to stay." I pulled the handle down and stepped over the threshold. Rye placed his hand on mine.

"Stay for me." He said, "As friends, of course. Just because you and Brook aren't together doesn't mean we can't hang out."

"Are you sure?"

"Yeah. We can watch a film or something."

"A film sounds good." I said, smiling.

"I'll get the popcorn." Rye said, removing his hand and disappearing into the kitchen.

I untied my shoes and pulled them off. I walked into the living room and sunk into the couch. Rye walked over and handed me the bowl of popcorn, before grabbing the remote.

"What do you fancy?" He said, scrolling though Netflix.

"You pick."

He clicked on the film 'Warm Bodies'. I looked at him, my eyebrows raised.

"Warm Bodies?"

"Yeah. It's a good film. Plus, you like romance, I like zombies. It's the perfect film choice."

I hadn't noticed he'd paid that much attention. I smiled at him.

"Warm Bodies it is..."

We sat side by side, as we watched the film. Half an hour later, the coffee table was full of different treat bowls. I took handfuls of popcorn and ate them one by one. Rye let out a chuckle.

"What are you laughing at?"

"Who knew somebody so petite, could eat so much and so loudly."

I elbowed him in the side. Snatching the bowl from him. I looked up at him, smiling. He had chocolate smeared on his cheek.

"You've got chocolate around your mouth." Rye attempted to wipe it, missing multiple times. I pulled my sleeve over my hand and wiped his face. I smiled.

"There." I said, popping a chocolate button in mouth.

"Hey, you've got something on your nose." Rye said, picking up the squirty cream. He squirted it on my nose, smirking.

"Oh really?" I said, wiping my face. I threw a handful of popcorn at Rye, a couple landing in his hair.

He laughed, before tipping the rest of the bowl over my head. I glared at him, wiping salsa down his face. He grinned and leaned back in his seat. He removed a piece of popcorn from my hair, tucking the strand behind my ear. We stared into each other's eyes, neither of us looking away.

Rye leaned in and trailed his fingers down my cheek. We were inches apart. He pulled away, quickly.

"We can't." He said, guilt in his eyes.

"No. Of course not...But I didn't realise we were" I said with a chuckle.

"Yeah. Right... Then again, technically it's only fair. He did kiss my girlfriend."

"Yeah...He cheated on me. Kind of. I mean, Me and Brook aren't together. But we're not 5. You can't try to kiss me , just because he did it to you!" I could feel myself getting annoyed.

"I'm some prize you win for who initiates the worst revenge Rye. If all I am to you is a way to get back at Brook then I'm gonna go."

"But... Ash that isn't...."

"No. I can't believe this. You were both so obsessed winning some imaginary competition that you didn't care if I got hurt. I can't believe I actually thought I could fall for you."

"I want to..."

"What Rye? What do you want? Me? Or the opportunity get back at Brooklyn? Because I'll tell you somethi..."

Rye grabbed me and kissed me, harshly and with anger. He pulled back and cupped my face in his hands ,

"I want you Ash. But I want you now and I can't have that. If being friends with you is then only way I can be with you right now, I'll take what I can  get. But don't ever think that this is to get back at Brooklyn. I hate the fact he got to you before I did. Because it means I have to wait even longer to tell the world I love you!!!!"

I was stunned into silence, I had no words. So instead I kissed him back.