31. Katerina

I walked down the stairs after laying Savannah down for her nap and found Alex sitting in the living room staring at his hands. I bit the inside of my cheek as I joined him on the sofa. He had gotten home a few hours ago and I knew right off the bat that something was wrong, but I didn't know how to ask him what happened.

"You've been sitting like that since you arrived, will you tell me what's wrong?" I asked and he looked up and I saw pain, anger and so many emotions in his eyes that it took my breath away and made my heartbreak. Tears were rolling down his face as his eyes filled with tears, "baby what's wrong?"

"Remember when I had contacted a friend of mine a few months ago and asked him to do some research?" He asked and I furrowed my brows but nodded since I had been in the room with him when he made that call but it confused me as to why he wanted his DNA tested and research done on his parents, "well turns out that Angelo and Margaret aren't my biological parents"

"What?" I asked confused and he handed me a vanilla envelope

"Aiden, the guy that I contacted, did some digging and he found out that my biological parents died when I was a baby and that Angelo and Margaret are actually my maternal grandparents" He replied and I was shocked and didn't know what to say, "my mother left you a letter before she passed away"

I pulled out the letter that was addressed to the person who my son falls in love with and swallowed the lump in my throat as I ripped the envelope open and took the letter that was nearly folded out before I began reading the words left on the paper.

I'm not sure when exactly I'll be giving you this letter.

Maybe in a few decades on the day, you marry my son. Or maybe it will be just a random day that feels right. Whenever it is that you get this letter, I hope that I will be alive and well enough to fully experience how happy I am to know you.

Right now it feels a little silly to be writing this letter. My son, my little toddler, is upstairs, tucked in a bed that seems giant compared to him, and it reminds me how tiny his body is. He's lost in a sea of blankets that I lovingly wrapped around him, before I brushed his hair off his forehead, kissed him and came downstairs to write to you.

I've listened to enough stories to know that (God willing) my toddler is going to grow up faster than I am prepared for. His lanky feet will soon hang off the edge of that bed, and before I know it, he'll sleep in a new bed, in a different home, away from me.

And somewhere along the way, he will find you. And everything will change.

Right now he chooses me. He chooses me to play race cars with and to read books with. He likes my lunches better than the ones his school makes. He wants me to be the last one to kiss him goodnight.

But one day, he will choose you. He'll want to spend his days off with you, go on adventures with you, cook for you. Right now his eyes light up with joy when he sees me. The look on his face when he first spots me waking up the driveway to see him never gets old.

But one day, those eyes will sparkle for you. He'll study your hands, memorize your face, and have pictures of you up in his office (or, in his "super awesome pick-up-truck-excavator in a tunnel" which is where he currently plans to work).

Right now I am his hero. He asks me for help. He asks me to make it stop raining. He snuggles with me when he is sick.