Chapter 41

We all waited outside the Academy for the kids to get out. A man approached where we stood, glaring at us. "How can you hang around that monster?"

I chose to ignore him, but the group closed ranks around me. "So, you protect it too... she's pretty, though..." I felt acid in my throat. Don't say anything else...

He took a step forward. "She'd make a go-" I looked up, and Ibiki had the man by his throat.

He raised him up in the air. "If you value your life... I suggest you leave." He tossed the man aside and looked at me. He forced my chin up. "Breathe, Chihiro."

I took a deep breath. "Ibiki..."

He nodded. "I know."

I closed my eyes as the fear began to recede. "Thank you..."

Minato nudged Ibiki. "Do you know what happened?" He gave a single nod but didn't comment further. "We'll talk later." Itachi looked at the two curiously but didn't comment.

Ryo, on the other hand, jumped at him. "Could you tell us?"

Ibiki looked at him with contempt. "No."

Aya pulled Ryo's sleeve. "When she's ready, stupid boy. Stop making things more difficult."

Shisui was deep in thought when his was grabbed up by his collar. "And if you ever put a hand on her again... I'll enjoy watching you die slowly."

Shisui clutched at his wrist but only fell roughly to the ground when he was released. "Understood." He rubbed his neck while everyone held a smug look on their face.

Another man approached, but he stopped before the group and smiled. He bowed before addressing me. "Lady Chihiro... the Hokage requests your presence."

I frowned. "Tell the old man, I refuse."

The man was taken aback. "Well... he said he may have something of interest to you... your birthplace."

I frowned. What does this man want now?  "I'm getting my siblings from school and will be out of his hair tomorrow..."

The man shook his head. "You've been granted a week more. It seems you have important decisions to make."

My breath hitched in my throat, and my frown deepened. "What does the old man want?"

The man smiled. "Your audience."

Just as he finished, the bells rang, and children rushed out of the school. I pushed away my troubled thoughts as I was tackled by 3 small figures. "You're here!"

I laughed. "Where else would I be?" I pushed them off and brushed the dust from my clothes. "Now, how does ramen sound?"

Naruto jumped. I'm the air. "Woo hoo!" A few people looked and frowned in his direction, making me glare at them.

He led the way and paused when he saw tables beside the little stand. I patted his shoulder. "Tuechi had no other way to accommodate so many people. It's the same ramen, little bird."

He beamed up at me. "So, more people can eat at once now?!"

I ruffled his hair as we sat. "So how was it?"

Hinata lowered her gaze. "Some of the kids teased me because of my eyes..."

Naruto jumped up. "But I helped..."

Sasuke scoffed. "Got beat up, though."

I frowned. "Well, that's unfortunate."

Hinata smiled. "It's okay... you said don't hurt those who are weaker because of silly things. I'm sorry that Naruto-kun got hurt."