Chapter 37

Kakashi was late as usual, and several people glared when he showed up.  He closed his eyes, smiling. "Yo."

I smiled at him.  "Better late than never, I suppose."

He chuckled.  "Well, I wa-"

I cut him off.  "Save it, I'm just glad you came."  He smiled again and handed me a long box.  "The presents are over there..."

He shrugged.  "Time to start opening them any way."

Naruto perked up and grabbed my hand.  "I agree!"

I chuckled as he wheeled me back to the gift table.  I sighed and opened the gift Kakashi handed me as Minato and a few others wandered over.  It was a short sword. The sheath and hilt were well made, and the steel was clean and sharp.  "Wow, thank you, Kakashi..."

He shrugged and scratched his cheek.  "I know you haven't trained with one, so..."  I smiled and nodded to him.

Minato took the sword and inspected it.  "Should do for now, and if you like it, then maybe get another."

I grabbed another gift and began opening it.  "That one is from us."  I looked up at Mikoto and smiled.

I opened the slender box and gasped.  "This is beautiful..."  It was an ornate silver locket.  One side held the Namikaze clan symbol and the other the Uchiha.  I opened it and smiled. One side was me with Minato and Naruto. On the other I was with the Uchiha family.

My heart ached, looking at the pictures.  "Thank you, I'll keep it close, always."

Mikoto smiled.  "I'm glad you like it. The boys did most of the work."

I looked at a blushing Sasuke and stoic Itachi.  "Thank you both."  They both nodded as I put it around my neck, tucking it in my shirt.

Naruto shoved another present in my hands.  "This one next!"  I raised an eyebrow.  "You'll love it.  Believe it!"

I smirked and opened it as he bounced from one foot to the other.  "Naruto... thank you, I do love it."  I held up the flute, which was exquisitely made, gold and silver with black adornments.

He scratched the back of his neck.  "Now, any time you play, you can think of us too."

I lowered my head, trying to control the tears that threatened to appear.  "I always think of you regardless, Little Bird.  Thank you."  I took a breath and ran my fingers across the instrument.  I put it to my lips and played.  The tune reflected my feelings perfectly. It was full of love and sadness, tinged with regret.

I finished and wiped the tears that fell away before turning to the group.  Many of them were crying as well. The rest looked depressed.  "I really will miss you all."

As they voiced their agreement, Minato handed me a box.  "Sorry, we keep giving you things that make it harder on you."

He smiled sadly as I took it from him.  Inside was a scroll and a photo album.  "Thank you, Minato.  I hope you don't mind if I look at these later.  Enough tears for now."  He nodded, and I finished opening the rest of the gifts.  Luckily, by the time I finished, everyone was over their depression.  I thanked everyone for the gifts and used the scroll Minato gave me to store them all.

When everyone was back to their own conversations, I slipped away to the roof.  I stared at the stars for a long while before I was found.  "I don't think I've seen you cry in a long time."

I looked up in shock.  "It's rare, but it happens."

Itachi took a seat beside me.  "You like your gifts?"  I nodded and looked at the stars again.  "It was my mom's idea... to put the clan symbols on the locket."

I looked at him curiously.  "Why?"

He shrugged.  "She said you always have a home with them... and us."

I smiled before dropping my head into my knees.  "I'm sorry, if I hadn-"

He grabbed my hand.  "You saved a village, you saved your father... the fault isn't yours."

I sighed.  "I don't regret the decisions I made up to this point.  I regret how many people it hurts when I'm sent away."  He remained silent.  "It's different here than with the other villages.  They welcome me and want me to stay, to become one of them, but here... I'm not wanted.  At least, not by those who make the decisions."

I felt Itachi's sadness as he rubbed his thumb along my palm.  "Then stay... what can they do about it?"

I looked at him in surprise.  "What?"

He looked at me seriously.  "You're strong and protected and cared for by some of the strongest shinobi the Leaf has..."

I smiled at him sadly.  "A civil war will not be started for my sake.  The tensions in the village are high enough right now."

He frowned slightly.  "For someone who claims not to care for the village..."

I sighed.  "I don't, but the people I love, love this village, and I don't want to take that away from them.  I don't want them living in a warzone and dying because of me.  That would break my heart more than anything." 

Itachi lowered his head, and I pulled out the photo album.  "Wanna look at it with me?"  He looked at me curiously and nodded.  There were pictures from everyone I cared about, some I never knew were taken.  There were even drawings from Naruto and Sasuke and slips of tickets inside.

We poured over the book, talking about each memory we remembered.  We laughed, and I cried while Itachi just looked depressed.  We came to a picture that made my heart stop.  It was Minato, Kushina, and myself eight years ago in this very restaurant.

I ran my fingers over it.  "This is the day we became a family..."  I didn't notice I had started crying again until Itachi wiped the tears away.  "Sorry..."

He shook his head.  "It's okay."  I stared at the picture a long while before he took the book away and hugged me.

I sobbed.  "I miss her."  He stroked my hair in silence and hugged me tighter.  I closed my eyes tightly, remembering my purpose and strengthening my resolve.  Kushina, I haven't forgotten my promise...