06

There was one problem with having to talk the truth, it was more the fact that it wasn't just the king which was present, and listening; what's more, Thranduil had left Liruliniel's side and stood beside his father in the large room they were within. The last thing Liruliniel expected was a meeting to happen of sorts. All those which were important in the functioning of their kingdom were present, her father included, Thalion was not. Hérion had looked somewhat displeased that his daughter was seemingly the centre of attention here, only dreading to know what she had done to be in this situation.

Liruliniel looked quite small as she shifted from foot to foot looking amongst the faces gathered, her eyes narrowed at Thranduil, that traitor left her side as soon as they entered this room when they had well and truly caught his father's attention. "I do not know what is wrong out there, but something is not right with the trees. It is not close to us, but it is creeping throughout the forest. There are parts so still, it seems unnatural." Liruliniel spoke eventually, tucking her hands behind her back and standing up straight. She couldn't exactly stand here slouching in front of so many stern and serious faced elves. She was aware that already some were perhaps judging her.

"That is preposterous, there is nothing untoward here. We have sought safety here, and will be safe here for as long as we need." Baramaethor spoke, although not physically appearing so, he was extremely old. Behind his back and with speculating tones, Liruliniel and Thalion had whispered about him perhaps being one of the first elves to ever awaken and walk the grounds of Middle-earth. However, whether this was true or not, neither knew but it had made Baramaethor extremely judgmental, opinionated and quick to shoot down ideals and things which didn't agree with him.

Liruliniel wasn't one for disrespecting her elders, despite of how she acted. But she was very tempted here, she frowned and tilted her head, seeing the look on her face, Hérion interjected before she could. "Perhaps you can explain your words better?" He opted to ask in a tone which hinted to her to not answer rudely to Baramaethor. The elder elf shifted in his seat and shot Hérion a look, he just slowly slid his eyes back to his daughter. The last thing they needed was a falling out here. But if he was going to shoot his daughter down, Hérion would defend.

She looked worriedly at him, Hérion just stood unfazed by her pleading expression. She got herself into this, she was getting herself out. He couldn't comment either way anyway, he wasn't there. Sighing she looked around the sparsely decorated hall. "I was exploring," she winced when there were quiet exchanges from in front of her. "I was opting out of a lesson, with Lady Caladhiel and I ventured further than I believed." She said, selflessly as she took full responsibility.

It was something which Thranduil couldn't help but look at her curiously over. Upon returning, he wasted no time in finding Oropher. His father was reading in a quiet room to himself. Thranduil had explained that Liruliniel had discovered something while she was out, he was expecting her to drop him in it too just out of spite. But she didn't. Did Oropher think they were together when finding this supposed discovery? Yes, most likely. He hadn't been ignorant to the two of them forming their new friendship, but he had not spoke about it.

Thranduil wasn't expecting Liruliniel to be selfless, despite of the repercussions which might come her way for it. But as a friend, in Liruliniel's eyes, keeping him from any punishment was the right thing to do. He didn't need to follow her, despite of his reasons. But he did. There was no borders in the forest, no place within their home that they were expected to avoid. But even still...straying and finding danger, and putting the heir to the throne in danger too, weaponless and defenceless, was awful.

Oropher wasn't an overprotective parent, but even Liruliniel knew that if something happened to Thranduil and she was to blame, she'd probably get imprisoned for life, or sent away, or exiled. Choose from the pick there, all were as bad as each other. She'd probably only be spared death because of the years of work and loyalty which Oropher had for Hérion. But even then, her actions could come back on him, and her brother. They could be declined and demoted from any position.