31

Nost-na-Lothion came and went, the festival went past so quickly it was as if it hadn't even happened at all. That was the usual, time and elves; a mix which sometimes dragged on, yet also went so quickly. The kingdom was running smoothly, although that was if trouble was expected to appear. Thranduil had been given reports of a growing number of spider nests which were appearing a few miles from the palace. No sooner had one nest been eradicated, did more appear.

They were worse than rabbits, they so easily and quickly repopulated and replenished what was lost that it truly felt like a losing battle. They had come in before, encroaching on land which did not belong to them, and here they were doing it again. His father hadn't really fought against them, but then considering it was the old fortress they wanted they would've just driven everyone out with or without force. Oropher decided against force, and that led them here.

Thranduil wasn't surprised to get more reports of further activity coming from the fortress they had all so readily left behind in a hurry. He had returned back to a darkening home with a third of his army, he was not in a hurry to send what remained to another battle which could see more killed. To some he knew it looked like he was opting to hide away, ignore the problem and not counter it; but the simple fact was, Thranduil didn't want anymore of his people dead. He didn't. Some fights can be avoided some can't, this one was the former. Unless the problem literally came upon their doorstep, then they could continue on as they were.

So life continued on, somewhat slowly at times, spring gave way to summer, summer passed and oncoming autumn was appearing. It was something everyone felt, the humidity which came with summer was ebbing away with each night. And each night was drawing darker and quickly at that. Daylight was fading as quickly as it came, and everyone felt the change. The woodland around them started to change form and shape, the leaves crisping up and turning brown and orange, the air becoming cooler and a little chillier, even a fog sometimes drifted through. The seasons were changing again, but that would just mean another celebration to put into planning.

In all honesty, the spring one he left to others who were much more capable. It would be the same here, Thranduil hadn't really the first idea about organising such a thing. But Mereth Nuin Giliath was special, all festivities were special, but the celebration of starlight was rather high on the list beating others by a long shot. To him, it just sort of seemed as long as everyone had wine at the ready and plenty to eat, then they were fine. But sometimes it boiled down to more, what music would be played, where about in the palace would it be held, was anyone else attending from another kingdom?

It was bad to admit, but all he had to do in this circumstance, was show up. Didn't mean he necessarily enjoyed himself, often he'd find himself alone at such things; the friendship between Legolas and Tauriel had extended to those who were also of a similar age. Though it pleased him to see him making friends with those around him, it left Thranduil to be solitary, and being solitary meant he just sat and brooded over thoughts which weren't welcome in his head.

The setting for this feast was within one of the many halls which were purposely constructed to allow the full shine of the night sky to come down and bathe everything within a white light. There were tables and chairs set up, even a space for dancing if some wished it. A few balconies led off from the room for some who wanted to fully look up and upon the stars they were here to admire and celebrate. He, however, much like in the spring festival, just sat and watched proceedings with a slightly bored exterior. He didn't mean to look uninterested, but he was literally alone here. Watching others be happy, did not mean he shared or imprinted on the feeling. If anything, it sort of made him feel worse. And this, if anything more, led to him bitterly taking a sip from his glass and just brooding more to himself.

When one of few guards which had been assigned to keep watch came marching towards him, Thranduil couldn't help but frown. He sat upright in the tall backed chair and looked questionably upwards. Hearing there was a guest had Thranduil looking more confused than he already was. They didn't invite anyone else, because no one would typically come all the way here. He knew what others thought and felt about his woodland home, and he was better off not participating or entertaining their thoughts and notions.