Chapter 32

Marco's POV:

Stepping foot outside of the hotel in which myself and Sascha stayed in last night – my agent – I breathed in the beautiful and captivating air of Dortmund, a smile presenting itself across my lips as I came into contact with it. But I guess it is a shame that the weather was then not to mirror that of how I felt, as still after having the breaking news which was presented over my way last night in expecting not to be able to travel with the team to Brazil, I was nothing other than a muse of emotions and heartache. This is the one tournament which is involved in my footballing career that I have been looking forward to, excitement rippling within my being at the thought of announcing myself on the big stage, the big stage of the World Cup.

And as much as Sascha keeps telling me over and over again that the doctors back in which I let see to me last night might be wrong and this could be nothing but a slight pull over in my ankle, I know that is not the case. The only thing Sascha is trying to do is keep me from going down in a downwards spiral, trying to help me see the positives and not only the negatives I have only been able to see since being forced off the field last night. But if it was really to be nothing but a slight pull then I would not be in the pain I am in right now, my ankle feels like it is inflamed or something with this constant pain I am feeling from it, if it was only just in a slight way a small pull in my ankle then I would not need crutches to walk with now already.

Let me just face the facts, I am injured, could be out for many weeks to come. I would much prefer to be told the truth by Sascha instead of him trying to sugar coat the truth from me, I know he is only looking out for my best interests as of in right now. But I am big enough and old enough also now to take the truth, face to face, I can take it now even if it all of it is bad. I know I am now not going to be capable in playing in the World Cup – the tournament that I ever so desperately wanted to be able to play in this time around – so as much as it all pains me to think of, I cannot do anything about it. I just need to work on my recovery back now.

All during the time spent with Sascha on the flight back to Dortmund to spending the time in which I did with him at the hotel it was filled with him talking and me not having even just a slight thing to say about the matter, all I wanted was to just go to bed and sleep in hope that all of this was nothing but a bad dream. But waking earlier on in the morning I was correct in that moment to realise that was not the case, this was reality and I was living it no matter at all how much I may not want to. In all honesty I do not know why I could not just go home in the second we arriving back in Dortmund late last night, spend time to myself to get over all which has happened and just meet Sascha myself this morning to go to the hospital all then.

I guess with how late we arrived back last night – in the early hours of the morning – Sascha just wanted us to get as much sleep as we could for the day we have ahead of us today, in a sense not only that too, but perhaps he was afraid of leaving me alone as to the news which I had received. Not afraid in the sense of being concerned as to what drastic measures that I may take due to it, but afraid to leave me in that state of devastation I was in. For all I am to be aware of he might just have wanted to give me company, in a way to help me with all of which has happened. And I have to admit to you now that I am grateful to him for that, even though I may not show it due to this difficult time in my life now, I am really grateful to him.

Anyway, taking my seat ever so carefully in the taxi in which was waiting for Sascha and me I slumped myself against the soft seats of the car, placing my crutches down beside me as I in that moment let a loud sigh out from my lips. If I am being honest with you the thought in of now going to the hospital to see what it is that I picked up injury wide last night is an ever so daunting thought for me, of course there is a part of me which has hope it is not too bad so I will be able to meet my team-mates in Brazil soon enough but deep down inside me I know I am out of the tournament completely. “How are you feeling?” Looking beside me as the taxi started driving us to the hospital I noticed Sascha looking at me, a slight smile across of him.