Soulmate AU

"Hello? Earth to Kim Eunji!" Mi Eun waved her hand in front of her friend's face.

Eunji blinked twice, "Hm?"

"Aish you're always zoning out Eunji-yah. Is something wrong?" Mi Eun asked.

Eunji reached over to the table to take a sip of her boba tea, "No I'm fine. What were you saying?"

"Well I was saying that Sun Mi told me that she found her soulmate a few weeks ago," Mi Eun said. "Isn't that exciting? It must be so great finding your soulmate after waiting so long."

Eunji chuckled and rolled her eyes, "Sure, great."

She immediately became disinterested when the topic of soulmates came up. It was all anyone talked about. There was no certain age when finding your soulmate. Supposedly, you and your soulmate's chests would start glowing when you were in the presence of one another.

From elementary school to college, all the girls would talk and talk about finding their soulmates, what they want their soulmate looks like, or what they hope they'll get to do with soulmates.

It made her sick having to listen to her friends gushing about it all the time. Couldn't they talk about a different topic for once? There were millions of other things to talk about, like world issues, the weather, or school. 

"Yah! Why are you like that?" Mi Eun frowned, elbowing Eunji.

Eunji leaned back in her seat, "I don't believe in that soulmate stuff."

"You only say that because you haven't found yours yet," Mi Eun teased.

Eunji shook her head in response, "That's not true. I have plenty of other things to work on than searching all around the world for my 'soulmate.'"

"Sure you do," Mi Eun said sarcastically. "C'mon Eunji, think about it. After I found Haneul, I've been so happy with my life!"

Eunji shrugged, "Whatever. I have different priorities."

"You're weird," Mi Eun commented. Eunji held in her annoyance.

~~~

"Kim Eunji when are you going to get a real job?" Her mom said with great exasperation, rudely barging into her room where she had been playing around with beats on her computer.

Eunji sighed and removed her headphones, glancing up at her angry mother.

"I'm getting there Eomma," She responded. "Don't worry about it."

"Those part-time jobs aren't going to cut it Eunji," Eomma reminded her daughter, just as she's done every single day. Eunji couldn't describe how annoyed she got hearing her mom repeat herself. "You'll never get a job as a music producer! You should've gone to medical school instead of wasting your time studying fine arts!"

"Can't you just leave me be Eomma?" Eunji asked in a tired tone. "Music is what I love to do, even if it doesn't make me a lot of money. It's my passion."

"Passion my foot. If only you were like your sister. She has a sensible job and she's found her soulmate. Aigoo, why can't you be more like her?" Her mother egged on.

Eunji slammed her headphones on the desk and stood up to face her mom. She hated it when her mom compared her to her sister.

"Stop comparing me to Euri Eonnie!" She raised her voice, even though she knew she shouldn't. "Why do you always pick on me Eomma? I work hard and help take care of the house yet you always complain? Why?"

Her mom shook her head in disapproval, "It's because you're like this, that you'll never succeed. No wonder you haven't found your soulmate yet."

That was it for Eunji. Not wanting to deal with this crap anymore, she stormed past her mother and left the house as quickly as possible. She was so done. Done with her not being enough for her parents, done with getting ripped off for her music, done being mistreated, and done with this screwed soulmate thing.