Chapter Twenty One

Baekhyun woke up and opened his eyes to completely stare at the ceiling. He immediately touched the star on Chanyeol's necklace around his neck and let out a long sigh. Even though he just woke up, he already felt exhausted. He tried containing his emotions, not wanting to shed another tear.

He has the necklace.

It wasn't a dream.

He is gone.

He got up from his bed and went straight to his bathroom. He took his oversized shirt, his thin layer of shorts and underwear off. He looked at himself in the mirror going down the necklace he is wearing. He paused for a moment before collecting himself again and went inside the shower.

He noticed that the walls and the floor is wet when he stepped inside. The water was surprisingly hot already when he turned the knob and let the sprinkle of water run down his chest and underneath. He washed his hair and thoroughly run his fingers with soap all throughout his body to clean everything he needed. After everything is done, he spent a few extra minutes more and let the hot water flow through his face. He kept his eyes closed and his thoughts wander through the event that took place the night before.

This is happening.

This is real.

He is gone.

He went out of his bathroom after brushing his teeth and used a towel to dry himself. While using a separate towel to dry his hair, he noticed his uniform is neatly pressed and sitting on a chair at the corner of his room. He is sure that he didn't iron his uniform the night before, but his uniform in sitting infront of him.

He wore his uniform and prepared everything he needed. He felt hesitant to go downstairs. The absence of Chanyeol and Jisoo means it is his first time eating breakfast with Mr. Park. He gathered his courage before taking another step outside his room and down to the dining room.

Mr. Park is seated on his usual seat, reading the newspaper like he did yesterday while he drinks his coffee. He felt bothered whether he would eat or skip breakfast to avoid the awkwardness.

"Just sit down." Mr. Park said without taking his eyes off the paper.

"A-ah, yes."

He looked at the chairs, not knowing where he would sit. He would usually be seated two chairs apart from Mr. Park, but today is a different day. He felt confused whether he would sit beside him or his usual sit, leaving one chair empty in between them.

"Just sit here." Mr. Park put the paper down and asked him to sit at Jisoo's empty chair.

Baekhyun sat and looked at the plate infront of him. His head bowed and his hands felt as if they were handcuffed and he couldn't movie them around.

"Eat comfortably. The two of us will be eating together often starting today."

Baekhyun nodded and reached for an egg roll and kimchi. He ate as quietly as possible, not wanting the attention of Mr. Park.

"Baekhyun."

"A-ah, yes, father?"

"I've been doing a lot of thinking, and I will be frank with you. Apart from doing a few household chores, there is something I would like you to do."

Baekhyun looked at Mr. Park, puzzled by what he is about to say.

"You've been living with us and enjoying the luxury of going to the same school with my sons. I have treated you like my true son as well, but you see, we're not completely related."