Chapter Sixteen

Baekhyun's heart is racing fast while running the corridors to the emergency room of the nearby hospital. Every step he took felt like shards of glass are piercing through his feet. Jisoo kept screaming at the people they pass by to move aside as the medical team are pushing Chanyeol's bed.

One of the nurses blocked Jisoo and Baekhyun when Chanyeol arrived at the hybrid room.

"Sir, you cannot go in from here. Please wait in the ER."

Baekhyun touched the glass separating the ER and the hybrid room while he witnessed the doctor performing. He was frozen at the door, he couldn't move. His eyes are locked at Chanyeol's pale face.

Jisoo held Baekhyun's shoulder and told him to wait outside but Baekhyun was like a statue that cannot be moved.

"Baekhyun.. we can't be here."

"No.." Baekhyun is shaking. "I.. I.."

"Come on." Jisoo kept pulling Baekhyun. He finally gave in when Jisoo wrapped him around his arms and dragged him out or the ER to the waiting area near the lobby.

"Jisoo.." Baekhyun said, still shaking. "I.. Chanyeol.."

"Shh.. stop."

"I.. can't." Baekhyun's tears that he kept inside along the way started bursting out from his eyes.

Jisoo wrapped Baekhyun around his arms again, letting his tears soak in Jisoo's shirt.

"This is my fault." Baekhyun cried. "I shouldn't have come here. I shouldn't have came in your life. I should have just died-"

"No!" Jisoo cut him off. "Byun Baekhyun! You listen to me. This is not your fault, understood?"

"It is my fault. Father should have left me at the ruins. Father.." Baekhyun's eyes opened wide when he looked at Jisoo. He remembered the thought of how their father would react once he finds out.

"Jisoo.. father.." Baekhyun looked at Jisoo with horror in his eyes.

"Don't worry about him. I'll explain everything. This is not your fault."

"But it is." Baekhyun kept crying. Afraid of what might happen to Chanyeol.

"I should have been the one in there and not Chanyeol."

"Don't say that! Byun Baekhyun!" Jisoo's voice is loud enough for the people nearby to hear them.

"Ch-Chanyeol.. he can't.."

"He won't! Look at me, Baekhyun. Nothing bad is going to happen to him, okay?" Jisoo tried giving Baekhyun an assurance.

He pulled Baekhyun back to his arms where he wept even more. Afraid of the outcome. Afraid of Chanyeol's unfortunate fate. Afraid of losing a person's life because of him. Afraid of his father.

His step father.

They heard chaos when they saw a group of nurses swiftly dragging a bed out of the ER. They saw Chanyeol when the bed passed them and they ran to follow the nurses to the operating room.

"What's going on?" Jisoo asked the doctor who followed.

"Are you Park Chanyeol's guardian? We'd like you to sign a form for us to perform an operation on him. There's bleeding in his head and it may be fatal if we didn't take the blood out."

Baekhyun grabbed on Jisoo's shirt tight. He heard what the doctor said loud and clear but he didn't want to process it.

"Is he going to be alright?" Jisoo asked.

"He might be if we perform the operation soon. Please sign the papers."

The doctor went inside the operating room and Jisoo was blocked by a nurse, assisting him to go to the lobby.