Chapter Twenty Two

Baekhyun was both surprised and confused to see Kim Na Na. She looked at him with a side smile and eyes piercing through his body.

"Mr. Kim, please have a seat." Mr. Park pointed at the vacant seat beside Baekhyun.

He felt uncomfortable being with Mr. Wong and his son who kept staring at him, and now Kim Na Na appeared out of nowhere. The only good thing that happened is Mr. Kim sat down beside him instead of her.

"Mr. Park, this is the first time I'm meeting Baekhyun. I didn't know you had a third son." Mr. Kim said.

"Yes, he is my son."

"Where is Park Jisoo and Pak Chanyeol?" Mr. Kim asked.

"They're both out of the country. They flew to California this morning."

"It's too bad we wouldn't be able to see them. Especially Park Chanyeol. He is, after all, the reason we are here."

'The reason we are here.' Baekhyun kept repeating that last sentence in his mind. Why is Chanyeol the reason for tonight's dinner? And if this dinner is for him, why did they push through even though Mr. Park knows they'd be flying to California? Baekhyun is still confused from what is happening.

Dinner was served and everybody started eating. Baekhyun took only a few bites. Even though his last meal was at lunch time with Min Jae, he felt full. He wished Min Jae was here and he was occupied fantasizing that he'd come. But he knows it's unlikely that it will happen in real life.

"Shall I propose a toast?" Mr. Kim said.

Baekhyun looked at Mr. Kim, careful not to look past him and see the girl in the blue dress at the other side.

"Shall we?" Mr. Park said.

"Uh.. I'm sorry to ask.." Baekhyun uttered in hushed tone. "But what are we celebrating?"

"Mr. Park, did you keep this a surprise to your son?"

Surprise? What surprise? It sounds exciting but Baekhyun is not one bit thrilled to hear the rest.

"I haven't told them yet. They're all busy in school. I haven't had the time to tell them especially with Jisoo and Chanyeol's immediate flight to California."

"That's why you looked confused, my son." Mr. Kim said when he looked at Baekhyun.

"Uhm.. I'm sorry." Baekhyun bowed his head.

"No need to say sorry." Mr. Kim said with a smile on his face. "Tonight we are celebrating an agreement with your family."

"A-agreement?" Baekhyun uttered.

"Mr. Park and I thought that you kids are growing up fast and we need to prepare your future. That is why we agreed to arrange the marriage of my daughter, Kim Na Na, and Park Chanyeol."

Baekhyun's eyes went wide. He hoped that he didn't hear that right, but he did. Loud and clear.

Chanyeol

This dinner is Chanyeol's wedding propasal. And the worst part, to Kim Na Na. He felt daggers pointed to his chest, drilling through his skin, waiting for the blood to run dry. He didn't want to hear it. He wanted to slap himself to wake up from this dream. But it wasn't a dream.

This is real.

He is gone.

He is getting married.

Baekhyun fought a losing battle of trying to keep his tears at bay. He didn't want to make himself look vulnerable to these people he just met. He didn't want to look weak infront of Kim Na Na. He didn't want to disappoint Mr. Park.