28. Caleb

Caleb's POV

This was it. We finally faced facing, after so long. I could finally breathe, even though she doesn't remember me, yet here she is. Lord knows for how many months I have waited for this moment. I had no clue what I would talk to her about, what I would tell her, will she know who I am and hug me as her life depends on it?

Approaching her as she stood there, looking beautiful in that dress, I tap her shoulder. When she turns around I see her eyes go up in surprise and then into confusion. What was she thinking?

"Hi," she said. My heart skipped a beat.

"Hi," I said, putting my hands forward. "If you don't mind, can I have a dance?" I ask her. I have no idea if she would say yes. She has always been smart and right now I was just a stranger to her.

She was looking at me in confusion. Was she contemplating? But she surprised me and she put her hand in mine and we made our way to the dance floor. God was on my side today when the song changed into a slow song.

"May I?" I asked her without wasting any time.

Every second with her is more precious than anything to me in this world and I was not going to waste it. She came to a step closer to me and God, did she smell like heaven!

She always smelled like this. She was as breathtaking as she was the first time I saw her. She hasn't changed a bit.

In the middle of dancing, she finally spoke up, "I am sorry but do I know you?"

I smiled thinking to myself, yes you know me, you know me better than anyone could ever know me.

"I am sorry but do I know you?"

It made me smile a little "Maybe" I said.

"Maybe? You kind of look is very familiar" as

"Then, maybe you do know me, you just don't remember it." I told her

I know I shouldn't have said anything like that. It would only confuse her and I must protect her especially from her past.

"Are you sure, I don't think I have seen you anywhere," she asked me again. 

Only if I knew what she was thinking at this moment. Does she remember anything? Did she remember me?

But I knew that she didn't.

"I am sure." I said as thousands of stones crushed my heart.

This was the last thing she said before her body went stiff. I looked at her from the corner of my eye. She was looking at someone and I, unfortunately, knew who might that be.

The dance ended and before I could say anything she walked away.

My heart ached.

I made my way through the crowd to the exit, when I turned around to look at her for the last time. I don't wanna be selfish about it. She deserves this.

A second chance at life and I can't expect her to remember everything we had. She is happy and living a life that's safe for her, safer than she could ever be with me.

She was smiling, the smile I would do anything for. I can't be the reason to take that away. I am going to protect that smile at all costs. Even though I had to sacrifice my love for her.

I walked away, back to my car. Leaning in my seat, all I could think about was the first time I ever saw her. Sitting in a corner reading a book. She looked beautiful. Her eyes sparkled like the Polaris. How was I so lucky?

I still remember the time when she first told me she loved me.

It was the middle of the night when I heard a knock on my door. I open my door to see her standing all drenched up. It was raining like crazing that day. A storm was our way. But there she was standing in my doorway.