14 Strawberries and Vanilla

I am, with all my heart dedicating this chapter to my very best friend and my editor. 

Happy Birthday, soul sister!❣️❣️

_____________________________________

The next morning, after my practices, I hurried to take a shower in the boy's locker room.

"Don't tell me it's you again?" It was Aiden.

"I am sorry. Were we playing a guessing game? Because if we were, you win," I said.

He scoffed, "Well anyone would. Our locker room smells like strawberries and vanilla."

I was rolling my eyes at him when suddenly, I felt like I was gonna slip, and like an idiot, I tried holding onto something imaginary.

I landed on my ass with a thump.

"What happened!?" Aiden immediately asked me.

"What does my scream say?" I said, agitated. And then I winced in pain. "I slipped. Now I can't get up!" I exclaimed.

"Oh! Are you alright?" I could see Aiden's feet approaching me.

"No, my ankle hurts," I said holding my feet. "What should I do now? Aiden you have to help me!" I winced again, as the pain intensified.

"What am I supposed to do? Are you okay? Is your ankle hurting?" He asked me, his voice a little concerning.

"Of course not! Why would it hurt? I just slipped in the shower!" I shouted with sarcasm rolling off my tongue. Well firstly, because I was in pain, and secondly, he was being an idiot.

"Hey! Only I can help you right now. Don't be so snarky," he warned.

"Okay! Fine! Sorry! Now, will you please help me?"

"Okay, I am coming in," he said.

"NO!" I screamed. "You can't come in, I am naked!"

"Oh right! Fine, I am gonna pass a towel to you, cover yourself up so that I can come inside okay?" he suggested.

"Okay."

Aiden passed me a towel and I quickly wrapped it around myself.

"You can come in. I am decent now," I said.

Aiden drew open the curtains and then stood next to me, his eyes full of concern.

Did Aiden Dawson just show concern?

He then looked at me and brushed a hair strand out of my face, like he was supposed to do it.

"Hey, are you alright? Where did you get hurt? Let me see it." He examines my foot to see how bad it is. He tried to move my ankle but as soon as he twisted it, I winced in pain.

"It is a sprain. I don't know if you will be able to walk. Here, put your arms around my neck." I nodded and I did what he instructed me to do.

I wrapped my arms around his neck and he slipped his hand under my legs and swiftly picked me up in his arms. It should have been kind of awkward but honestly, it was not.....anyway, it wasn't the first time that Aiden had seen me in a towel though.

I felt nice in his arms. I felt warm and weirdly comfortable. Why is this weird tingly feeling suddenly rushing through my body?

He picked me up and carried me to the bench in the locker room. He put me down and then sat on his knee to examine my ankle.

"I'll bring your clothes so that you can get ready and I will take you to a hospital nearby." He was talking to me when he suddenly stopped. His eyes went to my shoulder. I followed his eyes. He was looking at my scar.

I looked away and covered my scar. "Aiden, you don't have to do this... I think I will be fine, you don't have to do anything for me."

He looked at me with a smirk. "Really? Cool. Fine by me. Why don't you go ahead and get your clothes and get dressed."

I pushed myself off the bench and tried to stand but a sudden sting of pain hit my ankle and I lost my balance and fell back. I knew I was defeated so I raised my head to see Aiden smirking at me.

"Fine, I was wrong! I can't believe this but maybe I need your help. Please."

"Fine I am helping you because you said please, now wait here," he said and went to the shower room and got me my clothes.

"I am gonna change too. Wait here," he said and went to his locker.

After I changed he carried me to his car.

"Aiden, do me a favor and take me to St. Mary's hospital?"

"But Central hospital is closer," he argued.

"Just please take me to St Mary's," I persisted.

"Fine."

At the doctor's, I have been prescribed some pain killers.

"You are lucky it's not a fracture because with your previous injuries I don't think that it would have been good for you. Since you're still healing, you have to be more careful," the doctor said.

"Previous injuries?" Aiden asked.

"Yes..." the doctor started to speak when I cut in.

"No...it's nothing we should go. We are getting late." I got up from my seat and Aiden helped me out to the door.

I was standing at the reception waiting for Aiden to get the car when I heard someone calling my name. I turned around to see the doctor coming toward me.

"Did I forget something in there, doc?" I asked him.

"No... you didn't forget anything. I am here for something else. See April, I know about your previous injuries and I promised your mother that I would help you but I can't unless you let me. You are not taking your medicines, you are playing which is simply exerting your body, which is yet to be healed. What do you want any of us to do when you are not helping yourself?" The way he looked at me made me feel so helpless.

"See doc...I know that you are concerned about me but let me assure you that I am fine and doing well. I appreciate your concern but I am really fine," I said.

He sighed, "I just want to help, April. I am not the enemy. Just take care of yourself and do come back for a check-up, okay?"

I nodded. He patted my shoulder and went inside.