Chapter 44

Patton looked to Janus who seemed distracted,they had made camp by the stream.

"Dede,you ok?"Patton asked softly,Janus nodded"I'm fine."
Falling apart
Insecure
Never enough
Everything is wrong Patton recited the acronym he made in his head.

"Are you sure?"Janus nodded"I'm fine,Patt."Patton sighed softly"I just want you to be honest-"

"I said I'm fine!"Janus then walked off"Janus!"Remus held back Patton"let him cool off,Padre."Roman said.

Patton bit his lip"fine..."

~~~~~~

Janus groaned and leaned against a tree they won't need you after this,they're using you!Janus sighed and looked up at the sky"are they using me...?"

Janus looked to the water in the stream at his reflection,if he focused he could imagine himself without his scales they'd think I'm normal without these damn scales.

Janus touched his cheek and felt the rough texture they don't want a snake among them,they want a regular side.they except Virgil because he can hide it,but I can't...Janus then looked to the wet sand by the water.

Janus stared at it,it almost looked like regular skin in the night what if I can hide it?

~~~~~~

Virgil stood up"I'm bringing him back,it's getting dark."Roman nodded"be careful?"

Virgil smiled softly"I'm always careful."he then turned and started looking for Janus.

As he walked across the waterline he saw Janus staring into the water,Virgil walked up to him"hey Janus,it's getting late."

Janus turned his head away oh no,he's going to hate me!Virgil tilted his head"are you ok,Jan?"Janus nodded"I-I'm fine,Virgil."

Virgil sat beside him"then can you look me in the eye?"Janus tensed"I'd rather not."Virgil sighed and turned Janus to face him.

Virgil looked at Janus and saw some wet sand on his scales"Janus...you weren't trying to hide your scales were you?"

Janus looked away"you all hate me,I'm nothing like any of you.they accepted you because you could hide your fangs,I thought if I could hide my face then they'd accept me."

Virgil sighed and smiled softly"Janus,that's ridiculous!we all love you,ok?"Janus looked back into Virgil's eyes"really?but-"

"Your scales are what make you different,silly!why would you want boring skin?"Virgil then wiped off the sand making Janus giggle"Virge,that tickles!"

Virgil chuckled"stop complaining and get up,banana snake."Virgil then helped Janus up and found his hat on the ground.

Virgil picked it up and dusted it off before placing it on his head"your hat hair is terrible by the way."he then turned and lead Janus back to the camp.

I'm..loved.Janus reminded himself as everyone smiled at them.