Chapter 6

The following day, Ellie and I went shopping to buy dresses for the gala she'd invited us to

"Let's hope we find something decent here," Ellie said as we entered a small boutique downtown. It turned out that looking for a party dress in the mall was pointless.

We didn't want to spend a fortune, but the kind of event we'd attend required dress code.

"Sky, you have to try it on." Ellie took a red dress off the hanger and handed it to me.

It was beautiful, had a thigh-high slit, and would undoubtedly hug my body in all the right— or wrong— places.

I held it out in front of me, unable to decide whether I'd look good in it. Lately, I didn't like myself in any clothes, no matter what I chose to wear.

"Come on. I'll take this one." Ellie grinned, pointing at a golden dress that was very her.

I gave up and followed my friend to the fitting rooms. She was right, and the gown did look amazing. If, by some miracle, I was to dance, it would stand out among others on the dance floor.

Later, when Ellie and I paid for the dresses and stopped by a lingerie store, I watched her choose a lacy set. I wasn't going to buy anything. Then, moved by my shitty mood and all the chaos in my head, I changed my mind and bought myself a red bra.

Ellie teased me about it when we were back at our place, and I played it down when all I wanted to do was cry.

I wanted to cry over the stupid kiss that never happened, over the bad luck I had in love and over the fact that my best friend would go home to her loving boyfriend, who for sure cooked a tasty something and was waiting for her to come home. In the short time I'd known Aiden, I could see how much he loved Ellie. Adored her was an even better word.

Ellie and Aiden were one of those couples — one of the couples that put romance novels to shame because they had that kind of love at the age of eighteen in his case and seventeen in hers. Whenever they were together, there were the loving touches and stolen kisses and Aiden's genuine interest in whatever Ellie was saying.

The truth was, as much as I was trying to convince myself otherwise, I wanted that with someone. I wanted the magic, and the butterflies, and long walks in the park. More than that, I wanted to care about someone and have them care about me.

I was still thinking about everything I didn't have when I opened the door to our place, and Tim rushed to greet me, gripping a toy in his hand.

"Sky, we built a Lego spaceship, you have to see it." Tim took my hand and dragged me to his room, not giving me time to say anything. "I was at Antoine's; his mom made us cookies, and we watched Star Wars, and then Liam helped me with this." Tim pointed at his desk where the latest creation was displayed. A smile lit up his face, and I smiled back at him.