Chapter 71

A year later

A year later

Ellie and I dropped our paint rollers and wiped the sweat off our foreheads almost simultaneously.

"I think it looks good," Ellie said, putting a finger under her chin and looking at the freshly painted wall of one of the dance halls. "It's comforting to know the knowledge my degree in Arts gives me is worth something."

"You're such a dork, Elizabeth." I laughed, nudging my best friend's shoulder with mine. "I'm grateful for your help. Thanks to you and Aiden, we saved tons of money on renovations. And you're right - you do paint like a pro, but please don't give up on your landscapes and portraits."

"And fashion illustrations."

"That, too. I've been to tons of fashion events thanks to that magazine of yours. I'm proud of you."

Ellie blushed slightly and then shrugged. "Look who's talking - the co-owner of one of the dance studios in Paris."

"Together with Liam."

Laughing, Ellie began to pick up the painting supplies we'd used. "Of course, how could I forget about your almost-husband. Thank God you are going to reopen the school after your honeymoon. This last year has been insane, and we need a break before the big events."

Ellie wasn't wrong. The four of us had never been busier. Liam and Aiden had their hands full with their online degrees and the job at Fauber Construction, where new projects appeared almost weekly. On top of that, Liam and I continued to teach dancing. Now, the dance school was never empty. We were the only two teachers, but after Brigitte offered us to co-own the studio, Liam and I had been thinking about hiring someone else to be able to accept more students.

I forced myself to stop thinking about work and focus on the trip we were going on.

Liam and Aiden did a project in the South of Portugal, and after visiting Algarve once, they fell in love with the place. We decided to go there together— the four of us, enjoying some weeks on the coast before our wedding in September. Our flight was later today, and just like Ellie and I feared, the guys were late from work, which was why we finished painting the walls without them.

"I can't wait to wash the sweat off me," complained Ellie when we strolled to the reception to say goodbye to Brigitte before going on vacation.

"Same. The guys will be all clean and handsome while we're like two Cinderellas before the epic makeover."

Ellie giggled. "Yeah, with paint stains as a bonus. Don't worry; I'm sure they will be just as drained. Aiden barely slept preparing the budget for his latest project."