Chapter 103: New Guy

It's nighttime, and AJ's asleep in the backseat. Clem crosses her arms and leans her head on the window, but she's not asleep.

You pull the car over. You turn the car off. You look at Clem and you sigh.

You: Are you mad at me?

Clem: ...No. I know it wasn't your fault. I just...thought that was our chance for AJ.

You: Clem, I know that you think a small house is what AJ should call home, but we need walls, we need defenses.

Clem looks at you frustrated.

Clem: Well, I'm sorry that YOUR ideas of a home is so much better!

You: That's not what I'm saying.

Clem: Why does everywhere have to have walls?

You: Because walls protect us, Clementine. The best place for kids are places where they're separated from walkers and bandits.

Clem: Walls can come down, Y/N.

She looks back out the window.

Clem: I've seen it firsthand.

You look down. You know that she's referring to Wellington.

She thinks that you think it's your fault she had to experience that.

Clem sighs. She looks at you with a sorry face.

Clem: ...I didn't mean it like that.

You: ...Were you and AJ happy in Wellington?

She nods.

Clem: Yeah.

You: Were you safe while it lasted?

She nods again.

Clem: ...Yeah.

You: That's my point. Walls are able to come down, but you know what...they can be put back up. And when they're put back up, they get stronger than before they even fell. You've just gotta work towards it...

Clem smiles at you.

You: Now, can we please not argue tonight? When you get mad, I get mad, and everything goes to--

Clem interrupts you by grabbing your cheeks and kissing you. She pulls out of the kiss and looks at you.

Clem: You're right.

You smile.

AJ groans. You and Clem look back at him. He's still asleep.

You whisper: We should be quiet. He just lost his bed. He needs his beauty sleep.

Clementine giggles.

Clem whisper: 'Kay.

You smile at each other. You turn the car back on and you continue driving.

Timeskip
You're doing a hunting trip by yourself, because Clem and AJ are watching the car. All your weapons that you have on you right now are your bow and arrows and your fabulous commando knife.

You're tracking a deer at the moment. You hear a twig snap and you look up to see the deer.

You sneak over to a tree and you take out an arrow. You load the arrow in and you aim at the deer. You take a deep breath in and in the middle of breathing out, you let go of the string and the arrow flies through the deer's neck. The deer falls.

You sigh.

You stand up and you walk over towards the deer. You take out the arrow. You get on one knee and you're about to tie the deer's legs together, when you hear a twig snap.