Chapter 146: The Greenhouse

You, Ruby, and Mitch make your way over to the greenhouse.

Ruby: Guess I didn't realize how long it's been. How much it's changed.

Ruby walks up to the door and tries opening it. That doesn't work, so tries pushing it harder.

Mitch: Uh, this ain't budging.

Ruby turns around.

Ruby: You gonna stand there sulking all day, or you gonna do something useful?

You sigh.

You: Well, we need that barbed wire. There must be another way in.

Mitch glares at you before walking around the greenhouse, but you don't care.

You look behind you to see something on the ground. You walk over to it and you pick it up. It's a boar skull.

Ruby: Wild boar. Not too many in these parts, but they were more common where I grew up. I used to hunt them with my old man when I was little. They make terrible noises when they die.

You: I like it. It'll look good on my wall.

You put it away.

You walk around the greenhouse to see Mitch looking inside the greenhouse. You walk up to Mitch and he turns around.

Mitch: What do you want?

You: You know, we really shouldn't be fighting. 'Cause I'm afraid we aren't leaving any time soon.

Mitch: You're only here 'cause we're desperate, you know, so don't get comfy. If we survive these raiders, you and I are gonna have words.

You: Lookin' forward to it.

You walk away from Mitch and over to a fogged up window. You take off your hat and you try looking through.

You: Fucking pointless.

Mitch: There's too much condensation on the inside.

Ruby: Condensation? That's a big word for you.

Mitch: Shut up.

You step away from the glass and you put your hat back on. You see a broken window next to a ladder.

You: That window. I bet we can get in there.

Ruby walks from around the corner.

Ruby: Good spot. Mitch, come here and gimme a boost.

Mitch: Wait. Make him go first. We send the one we don't mind losing.

Ruby: That's an ugly thing to say.

Mitch: Vi says we need him help, right? He shouldn't mind sticking his neck out.

You: You too scared, Mitch?

He scoffs.

Mitch: Just go.

Ruby: I'll give ya a boost.

You: Nah, I got it. You say, backing up.

You run up to the wall and you use it to launch yourself up to the ladder. You start climbing up.

Ruby: Okay. That works too. Holler if one grabs you. Otherwise, we'll come soon as you give the all-clear.

Mitch: I guess we'll know when the door opens.

You make it to the top. You jump down onto a shelf inside the greenhouse.

You look to your left to see a walker sitting down against some shelves. The walker stands up and starts making its way over to you.