42.

Two months later

"Do you want to know the gender of your baby?" The doctor asked.

"Yes."

"No."

I glared at the man standing beside me. I rolled my eyes. "I want to know the gender of my baby," I look to the doctor.

He looks between the both of us unsure who he should listen to.

"We want it to be a surprise."

We.

He has been using a lot of we as of late. And I've thought about it a lot and it didn't sound so bad. He's been good to me and although he's not the father he has been there for me.

It would have been rude to remind him that the child growing in my womb is not his so I always smile when he's affectionate to me and the unborn child.

We're not together romantically, he's just been there for us like he promised me that he would. And he has been helping me, keeping me company, he's my boat he keeps me afloat.

Derek has been good to me and for that I'm grateful.

And I couldn't deny him this, he has become so attached to the baby and it would not have been kind to remind him all the time that he's not the father when he acts like it more than the real one.

He hasn't come around, he hasn't called me again since the last time he called to tell me he misses me. I even try to pick up the phone to tell him about the baby and appointments but every time I do, I do not have the courage to call.

So no I'm not keeping him from the pregnancy, I did not bar him from seeing or calling me, he just stopped calling and trying to see me.

I know in the first month of his infidelity I didn't want to see him or for him to call because the wound was so fresh and every time I hear his voice or see his face I'm forced to see him and my best friend in bed.

But now it doesn't hurt so much when I think about him. I don't cry when I'm alone and I think of his name. I still miss him and it would be a lie if I said I didn't but not enough to be with him or try to see him.

I'm trying to put that behind me for the sake of my mind and for the baby.

"Are you okay?" He asked once we were out of the room.

"Yeah, I'm fine."

"Are you sure?" He insists. I nodded.

Satisfied he places his hand in the small of my back and we make our way out of the building. He directs me to his car in the parking lot.

Instead of his usual driver, he drove us here. He opened the car door for me. I smiled and thank him. There was a snapping sound of a camera.

We both turn around to see people snapping photos of us. The surprise was written on both of our faces and I could tell that he wasn't expecting this.

They didn't pause or waste time for us to shake off the shock before shooting off questions. His surprise face soon shifts to irritation.