Chapter 13

"Look you don't worry about Blue, okay? She's gonna be fine.." Mom assured me. "I wanna know what's going on! She's my sister, I wanna know what I can do to protect her." I said, "Blue doesn't want you in all this... You're one week from graduation. This isn't your concern.. Just concentrate on your last week of school and respect Blue's wishes as I take care of this." She smiled and kissed my cheek, cutely. "But--"

"No buts... When's your basketball game?" I exhaled in sadness. "Tomorrow night, Coach wants me practicing." Mom patted my knee, "Then go practice, baby. Don't you worry about anything, Kev. Blue is going to be fine." She assured me, I felt the uncertain tone in her voice. I got up and left the room.

----------------

I bounced the ball against the pavement and threw it against the concrete wall, bouncing it on my hand and throwing it up in the hoop, it circles around the inside and went through, thudding against the ground. "FOSTER!" Someone yelled, entering my backyard. I looked and saw Mark, Dominic and Grant with their basketballs in hand, "Ready for the game?" I smiled and stole the ball from him, dodging him and jumping, throwing the ball in the basketball hoop.

"Aye! No fair!" Mark laughed, the ball hit the ground and it handed it back to him, "Number 1 rule: Never let your guard down." I punched him playfully. "I'm team captain for a reason.." They laughed, I lit a cigarette and puffed. "So... Where's your hot sister?" Dominic asked me. I hesitated and looked at my shoes, furrowing my eyebrows in sadness. "Which one?" The boys punched me playfully and all laughed. "The little one," Grant said.

"Oh! Blue-- Uhm... She went back to New York. She starts school in a bit and she wanted to get organized." I said, Dominic nodded and Mark tossed me the ball. "C'mon! Let's practice!" He encouraged.

--------------------

I was so distracted tonight. The stadium began to fill up with people, the cheerleaders began to chant to pump up the crowd. Everyone began to clap and the music pumped through the gym. "HUDDLE UP!" Coach screamed. The team all huddled up on the sideline. The cheerleaders chant rung in my ear as they motivated the crowd. "Captain?" Coach smirked at me and I put my hand in, everyone followed. "Okay.. This is the last game ever for us. We gotta do this!" I yelled.

The whistle blew and the game started. I grabbed the ball and bounced it, I threw it at Mark, he theew it to Dominic who made the shot and the other team pouted, I clapped my hands together and high fived him as we all started to sweat. A guy on the other team grabbed the ball, I tried to block him but he swerved me and threw it to his team mate. Max, he was tall! He threw himself up and grabbed the ball, I yelled over the roar of the cheering crowd and Max ran across the court.

"IM OPEN!" I yelled. He threw it at me. I made sure the other team was away as Grant tried to make them not come any closer so did Mark. I threw the ball into the hoop and everyone cheered. I looked at the crowd, hoping Blue was there but I only saw Sam, Jesus, Mariana, Mom and Grandma Stef & Lena. "COME ON BOYS!" Coach yelled. We continued to make shots.

64 points to 65 points. We were winning. Grant threw me the ball and I jumped to throw it when a team mate from the other team threw me done to the floor in mid-air. I hit my head hard on the court floor, I felt dizzy. "KEVIN!!!" That voice that shouted to my rescue. I knew that voice. Grant ran over to me and helped me up, "Are you okay, man?" He put his hand on my shoulder. I nodded. I looked around the court as the referee whistled his whistle to call Foul. "COME ON, KEVIN!! GET UP!" Coach screamed. That voice... I knew that voice that shouted my name.

"KEVIN!!!!!" I heard it again, I looked at the family. They knew that voice too. I looked at every exit door and saw her standing there with a hoodie on and some dark shades. I'm pretty sure they knew she was here or attempting to me. She walked to me in silence as Coach called me over. She hugged me tightly and I felt her tears wet my basketball shirt as I stunk like musk and sweat. "Y--You're here. Oh my god..." I whispered.

"I know you can do this. Win this game, I believe in you.." She grabbed my face to make me look at her. "That's all I really needed, Blue. I just needed you to be here and believe in me." I cried. "So c'mon captain!" She spat over the cheering audience except Mom and the rest. "Make me strong!" I yelled motivated, she squeezed my hand and smiled. Max threw me the ball. "Let's turn up! Game on!" The cheerleaders screamed and the music pumped again. I saw Blue run out the gym and disappear. I ran to the court and made the shot.

Everyone cheered me on. Time was running out. I groaned and so did they rest of the team. Coach called us and time paused. We huddled up, "This is getting hard.. I can't get a clean shot at the hoop." I admitted to them and Coach. "What do you wanna do, Captain?" He asked me, I looked at the boys and exhaled, taking a big risk on our last game. "I want Grant on the left side of the court. I want Zeke to double team the other team, distract them. Dom? Throw me the ball while Mark? Keep your eyes on me..." We broke up and ran to the court.

Zeke distracted them by running around the court and Grant swerved them other team players as he threw Dominic the ball, He ran to other side of the court and Mark kept his eyes on me as I sweat and was completely stressed out. He stood in front of the hoop. Dom threw me the ball while swerving the other team. I caught it and ran toward the hoop, I jumped and threw the ball to Mark. Everyone gasped... Silence as the other team ran toward Mark who held the ball with no sudden movement in his body to throw it.

TIME WAS RUNNING OUT! 11.5 SECONDS ON THE CLOCK! "MAKE IT!!!" I screamed at him. He threw the ball and it entered the hoop, everyone cheered. We won the game! My team ambushed me and Coach dumped cold water on me in celebratory. Grant grabbed me and pulled me over his shoulders and the principle handed me the championship trophy.

I screamed and chanted with it in my hands as Grant's body carried me. he set me down and they all touched the trophy. "THIS IS OURS, BOYS!!!" I screamed. They all smiled and we laughed. "No... This is for you, captain! You pulled us through!" Dominic exclaimed happily and I turned red, dabbing his hand in mine. My best bud! Mom and Sam ambushed me, kissing my face and hugging me tightly. "You have a good boy with a bright future, Mrs. Foster." Coach told her.

Mom smiled and blushed, "I know I do.." Coach took the trophy and they all walked off. Dominic stayed behind. "Sam? So... Wanna go out to dinner sometime?" I laughed at his cheesy attempt to pull her. "No," Jesus answered, he walked right behind her and grabbed her hand protectively like a boyfriend should. "Sorry, kid." Sam showed her pearly white teeth and I dabbed his hand again, he left me with my family. I changed the subject. "You heard her scream my name? You saw her too?" I exclaimed in fear but shock. "Hush your mouth, we can't let them know she's here. If we're lucky, she's on her way back." Mom said. I smiled faintly and she kissed my cheek. "Hey, Foster! We're going to back to my house for the celebratory party. Ya comin'?" Grant yelled. I looked at Mom, she smiled. "Go... Have fun!" I laughed and Sam kissed my cheek, I ran toward Grant and he handed me the trophy. "We did it, man!" He smiled widely. We walked away from the school.

AUTHOR REVIEW: Are you happy you finally got a chapter with no drugs, killing, gangster shit? Just a happy family!

NOT FOR LONG! SHITS GONNA GET REAL!