1. The Meeting

It's 6 am on Thursday when my phone rings. Daisy, my manager trying to wake me up as usual, only earlier. She mentioned last night that I might have to get up early to come to the gallery and finish my work for my upcoming exhibition this weekend.

"Hey.. what is it Daisy?" I murmur. I stayed up late, thinking about this one unfinished work, and didn't remember what time did I sleep last night.

"Hey, S! Sorry to call this early, but you need to come to the gallery in 1 hour. We have an unexpected guest coming to see your work. Let's go!" I'm not even surprised that she's already pumped up so early. That's how Daisy is.

"Can't you just tell them to come on the exhibition day?" I try to get up from bed, yawning.

"S, listen to me. They are famous and cannot be seen in public. AND they might be interested to invest or even collaborate with you in the future. Please just listen to me once!" She adds. I can tell she already had her 1st cup of coffee.

"ugh... you said it like I never listened to you." I frown. Daisy admits that she is a bit overwhelmed by this guest but doesn't even say who it is. "Fine, I'll be there ASAP. You know what I need right ?"

"One hot Americano, unsweetened. Gotcha. And S, you'll thank me later!" she hangs up the phone.

Cannot be seen in public, huh? I wonder who she picks up this time. Daisy always surprises me, she has worked as my manager for 2 years since my debut as a fine artist. She always does a great job to hook me up with curators and presenting my works in local exhibitions. Sometimes, her energy is quite overwhelming yet is not a surprise she can keep up with me. She sticks with me.

I hop in for a quick shower and did my hair and makeup.
I throw a decent look for our important guest. I wore my black pants, a creme satin top, tucked under my pants. An oversize outer that goes the same tone as the top, black strapped heels, and sunscreen. I do my hair in a low messy bun style and use nothing but dark red lipstick for makeup. I don't like using too much makeup, yet I wanna look fierce. I take my phone and text Daisy that I'm on my way.

The gallery is not far from my place, so I make a stop at a bakery that I love down the streets to buy some bagels for me and Daisy too

The gallery is not far from my place, so I make a stop at a bakery that I love down the streets to buy some bagels for me and Daisy too. I know she might do the same, it's just that we were friends before she became my manager. I guess it just becomes a habit. Well, more food for the staff at the gallery.

Me and Daisy go way back. We're both foreigners. We're Indonesians who live in London, have been here for 5 years ever since we're both accepted at universities in London. I got accepted for a bachelor's degree in fine arts at Camberwell College of Arts, while Daisy got accepted for her postgraduate degree in Innovation Management at Central Saint Martins. Yup, she's about 4 years older than me. We met at an art festival, found out that we're from the same country and we stick together ever since.

When I graduated and started my debut as a professional painter, she offered herself to be my manager. That's before she found out how shitty my attitude is when I'm working. Even though we're close, she never knows what I'm like when it comes to my work. A stubborn know-it-all with a bad temper. Moody af. Some say I'm a bit bitchy and rude, but I think people saw potential in my work. Luckily, she didn't bail. Perhaps she saw me as her little sister who needs to be taken care of.