Part 42

Hailey POV:

Fisher: Hailey, I do have a few concerns with this pregnancy.

Jay: Oh Lord.

Fisher: Our test indicates that you have gestational diabetes.

Jay: So, what does that mean?

Fisher: It means that you have to manage your blood sugar. Hopefully, a healthy diet and exercise will manage it, but if that doesn't work then we will have to use insulin to lower your blood sugar. It's so early in the pregnancy to tell. We will also be seeing each other more. I'll closely monitor the baby's growth and development.

Fisher: What do you do for a living?

Hailey: I'm a detective with the Chicago police department.

Fisher: Okay. I want you on desk duty just to be safe. I'll write a note to your sergeant. I don't want you to lose weight during this pregnancy. I want you to take a walk or something during lunch and then when you get home after work. At the very least 30 minutes a day to keep the balance. How recent have you gotten an ultrasound?

Hailey: I haven't yet.

Fisher: Then, we'll just do it now.

The doctor grabs the ultrasound stuff, leans back Hailey, puts the gel on her and starts looking.

Fisher: Looking good so far.

A few minutes go by. The doctor is really quiet which is really strange because she hasn't stopped talking this whole visit.

Fisher: Well I have more news.

Jay: Not more doc. This is already a lot.

Fisher: I'm seeing two little raspberry babies.

Hailey: What?

Fisher: You're having twins. Congratulations.

Jay: Oh geez.

Fisher: There's this saying that with twins it's "Twice as sick, three times as tried and four times the weight gain".

Hailey: Oh great.

Fisher: This is going to be a very tiring pregnancy but I promise it's all worth it. I'll be with you throughout it all. I'm going to write the prescriptions and vitamins that I want you to be on and to have close by. I'm also going to give you all the instructions to manage your gestational diabetes.

Jay: Thanks doc