Part 55

Jay's POV:

Dr. Ridges: The twins have something we call TTTS which stands for Twin to Twin Transfusion Syndrome. Both of the babies need blow flow and they both share it. In TTTS, one baby is actually donating blood to the other. This causes one of the babies to grow slower and not develop as it should and while the other baby is at risk for heart failure because it's receiving that extra blood.

Fisher: If we don't operate to fix that, there's a very good chance that we could lose one or both of the babies.

Hailey starts breakdown crying. I'm trying to comfort her.

Dr. Ridges: I would like to get her into surgery tonight. We will do something called Selective Fetoscopic Laser Photocoagulation to fix these vessels that's causing all the issues.

Jay: Are they in pain?

Fisher: Yes. They are in extreme pain. If we don't operate, it's highly likely that we will deliver stillborns.

Hailey: Okay. Yes. Operate.

Dr. Ridges: Okay. I'm going to get you booked right now and we will take you up in about an hour.

They leave the room. Hailey is still balling her eyes out.

Hailey: It seems like we can never catch a break.

Jay: I know.

Hailey: Jay, they could die.

Jay: Don't think like that. They're strong. They will survive.

Hailey got moved up into a room and prepped for surgery. I called Will so he could check up on Hailey during surgery. I called Voight to tell him Hailey and I will be taking some time off. Hailey and I said our goodbyes and she was off to surgery.