Friend

Old Classroom

In Unison graduates hung out and danced till their toes couldn't step no more, before they had to say their last goodbyes - and they all discovered something in their classmates that day.
Happy that maybe grudges we're broken and queens dropped their crowns. That the system didn't matter anymore. 

Ross laughed at me while I was dancing but I thought I was pretty good, Nina and Allie joining me as they we're the ones that could've been professional dancers. Ok, never mind. 

The high school popularity contest was over. 

"Well, we finally made it to the good part." Nina said. She'd finally decided to come over, and I laughed at her words. I remembered one of our so lame high school fights. "What if we finally get to the good part?" I remembered the words coming from Nina -- or me, just like this all happened yesterday. Okay so I don't actually remember.

She sat down on the bed next to me, still making fun of my clothes, just silently. "We made it through the fights, the test, and the bitches." We both laughed, probably really going to miss high school. "But we made it together."

"Don't forget the psycho's." I replied, throwing clothes into a suitcase. We both we're getting ready for Yale and Columbia this year, after summer. Nina and I had already picked a room together, and our schools would be right across the bridge from each other, but at least at the end of classes we'd both have something to look forward to. On the bright side, Ross and I didn't have to stay in this ugly house for the rest of our lives.

Nina laughed. "You owe me for that one."

I rolled my eyes. "How are you and Austin, N?" I asked batting my eyes afterwards. I searched Nina's eyes for happiness and found them right away. It seemed just like yesterday we we're being over excited about our first year of high school. Now we we're talking about boys that we had to create into men.

Now we we're packing for the future, and I could feel that feeling... that something great was heading my way... Our way.

"I think he's going to propose." Nina squealed. "He's getting all bogly, boy and ugly mixed together by the way," she started, as I laughed at her made up word, "And he only gets like that when he's jittery. When he asked me to prom, he was all shaky, and I see it again."

I never thought about Nina and Austin settling down, my two great friends loving each other when I thought Nina liked Austin as a little brother of our junior year. I guess I was wrong...Marriage.

"That's great!" I held her hands, in complete amusement. "I want to be the god mother of cute babies, anyway."

"Check and check." Nina smirked.

"Nina Mels," I started.

"Yeah," She said. "I'm keeping my last name." She tossed lingerie in her suitcase her eyes growing big.

I laughed. Nina Mels was horrible, and I'm glad she noticed it. "You know M, we may be going to one of the most prestigious colleges, but we're not growing up." Nina admitted.

"Growing up? After all the rated R sleepovers? I don't think so either N," I replied, with a far flung smirk.

After a few minutes, Nina brought up the weirdest thing. "Did you hear Laura asked Allie for a spot in her line?"

I was shocked. I never thought about Laura's future as much, as she had been herself. "I guess we'll be seeing her a lot more, huh?"

"Sadly." Nina zipped up the suitcase that was full of our clothes. I walked over to my pillows, Ross and I brought with our 'high school' education. I took my journal from under the pillows.

"Clever," Nina started sarcastically. "Your man babe can easily spot that and read about all your shit...Ross is a little nosy, don't you think?"

"Not as nosy as you," I laughed, being for real. I starred at the journal that was of course the original one my mom gave me. Pages we're ripped from it of course, but It didn't matter as it was still important to me. It's basically what helped me get through points where I either wanted to die or die.

Nina agreed without a fighting chance. "I get your point."

But no matter what happened, I knew that we we're going in the right direction. Classes, each other, college parties... like we planned since kids...Ross said he'd try to make it in Music in New York, and stay across from Nina and I's Upper South Side dorm. Yes it sounds even better in thought.

"Do you think Ross is going to propose?" Nina asked. "You two... you two are the only high school couple to make it out a high school couple. Most girls left lonely and alone."

Basic bitches. How lucky they are to not be heart broken I thought in a laugh. "... I don't know... I think he's scared I'll say 'no' again. God I was like a girl jerk."

"Umh, he popped the Allie pop in the janitor's closet, and asked you to marry him the next twenty four hours." Nina did her hand gestures as I squinted my eyes at her playfully.

"The Allie pop? Where do you come up with these?" 

"Well..." Nina started, obviously almost about to change the subject. "Not the point. The point is, he's going to grow a pair, and when he does, I'll be at your wedding in a few months." She smiled at me. "And if he doesn't, you can always marry me."

I rolled my eyes, throwing her in a hug as she never made me stop smiling.

You live you learn, that you've got a friend.