Chapter 50: Training Camp Day 2

Later, the others made their way to the lodge. Pixie Bob was impressed by the performances of Izuku, Kenshi, and Iida. She could tell that these three had some experience out in the field. The kids were treated to a big buffet of food. However, one student didn't decide to join in and ate by himself.

Izuku was sitting in another area and barely touched his food. Those words kept ringing in his head. 'I don't need a knight in shining armor' Meanwhile Ochako was sitting with all the girls thinking about the harsh words she had said to him, even though she didn't mean them. She wanted to try and talk to him but she didn't know what she would tell him or, where he was

Izuku, not knowing what to do about the situation, decided to call Ochako's father for some advice, since the two were practically family. He dialed the number to Maruki's phone. It rang for a couple of seconds "Hello?" he asked.

"Uncle," Izuku said, "It's Izuku."

"Oh hey, it's a surprise hearing from you son," Maruki said, "What can I do for ya?"

"Actually, I need a bit of advice," Izuku said

"What kind of advice do ya nee- waiiitttt a sec, you're not asking for Ochako's hand in marriage are you?" his tone turning serious,

Izuku blushed a dark red "wa-wait no that is not what I want to ask" he sputtered Maruki laughed behind the phone. "I'm kidding son," he said, "But in all seriousness, what do you need?"

"Haha" Izuku laughed sarcastically, "Actually, It's about me and Ochako. Earlier during training camp, she got herself injured in the beast forest and It got worried and so I freaked out, then Ochako shouted at me to calm down because I was starting a scene."

"That's a little odd," Maruki commented, "Why would you freak out over a minor injury?"

"Well.... It brought back some memories," Izuku said, "First the Entrance Exams, then the USJ, and that beating she took from Hayate. Part of me just.... Went berserk and overreacted."

"It's because you care about her, don't you?" Maruki asked.

Izuku nodded. "I made a promise to protect her however I can," he said, "I told her that I'd never let anything happen to her."

Maruki chuckled. "Kind of a weird thing to promise," Maruki said, "If you don't let anything happen to her, then nothing will happen to her. Not much fun for Ochako."

"What do you mean?" Izuku asked.

"I was actually the same when I first started dating Kurumi," Maruki said, "Ever since that day those boys attacked her, I told myself I'd keep her safe and protect her. But soon I started to realize that I can't always be her knight in shining armor and that I needed to let her be herself every now and then." Izuku was listening to his surrogate uncle's words of wisdom.

"I know you love Ochako and would do anything to reserve her smile, but keep in mind that she would do the same for you too, if you'll let her," Maruki said with a smile, "The thought that you care so much about Ochako, that lets me know off the bat that you'll be a great son in law."