041

ISAAC'S

ISAAC'S

***

Naalimpungatan ako sa pagkakatulog nang maramdaman ko ang pag-uga ng kama at marinig ko ang pag-ungol at pag-iyak ni Rina.

She was sobbing tremendously in her sleep as her body tossed from side to side as if she's trying to get off of someone's hold.

"Rina," I held both of her arms and shook her body slightly to wake her up from her nightmare.

"Argh... No! Stop! Please," she begged as tears continued on flowing freely from her closed eyes.

Every night is like this for Rina. Sa nakalipas na halos isa't kalahating linggo na nagkasama kami, palaging ganito. I would wake up in the middle of the night because of her weeps. I would rush to her room to hug her like this and bring her back to her slumber.

I would caress her hair, wipe her sweat and tears, and hug her until she falls back to her slumber.

"Sshh... Tahan na, Rina. I'm here. I'll be here," I whispered against her ears as my embrace tightened around me.

Unti-unting tumigil ang pagpiglas ng katawan niya kasabay ng paghina ng mga daing at ungol niya. She laid her head against my chest as her breathing started to calm.

For sure, Rina wasn't aware about nights like this. Hindi niya alam na maraming gabi ko na ring na-witnessed ang mga pagkakataon na iiyak at sisigaw siya habang natutulog. She's completely oblivious about the fact that for this past one and a half week, I was there to save her from her nightmares. Hindi niya kailangang magising na habol ang hininga at umiiyak dahil masasamang panaginip. Instead, I would take her back to sleep like she didn't cried in the middle of the night. I'm not sure I did it— how did I calm and sooth her in the middle of her nightmares. But I guess it's because of the trust that she put to me.

And God knows how much I don't want to break Rina's trust... But there are circumstances that maybe I'll end up doing so.

No one can predict the future, anyway.

My arms were wrapped around Rina's waist. She's only wearing my shirt and I could say that I'm starting to get used of this sight of her. Hinaplos ko ang buhok niya bago hinalikan ang noo.

"Everything I'll do..." I felt her hug tightened around me as her breathing became heavy and deep. "Will be for you, Rina. Sana matulungan talaga kita gaya ng ipinangako ko sa 'yo."

My eyes closed as myself started to drift back to sleep. Pero bago ako tuluyang mawalan ng ulirat, parang narinig ko ang boses ni Rina.