Friendship

Lan Zhan's POV:

Walking to an edge of the cliff, it's sheer beauty reminded me of Gusu's fog covered mountains. The only difference is that far below the cliff were small huts at the base which were lit with lanterns and from afar, they resembled beautiful shimmering stars on Earth. One could hear the gushing river and sweet smell that she carried. If not for the beings around us, I would have assumed this is a part of some sacred untouched valley.

"I am sorry, Lan Wangji." His words surprises me. Turning to face Hua Cheng, I observe a small sad smile at the tip of his lips. "Never before in all my life have I ever apologized to another being. You're the first one, Lan Wangji. Here." Handing me a box covered in red velvet, my eyes widen at the content inside. It is the hairpin I had gifted Wei long ago. The one he promised to always have on his body. A promise never to let me live the pain of having his charred ribbon's remnants in my hand.

"Wei Wuxian gave me that hairpin and had asked me to hand it back to you in case something -" with a heavy sigh he stops his words but I knew the magnitude behind them. If something were to happen to him.

Wei Ying.

"Back then when he had entrusted me with this pin, I had refused to accept it, but I still had it in my care and there was never a moment to give this back to him. They're yours, Lan Wangji. I would never have another happy opportunity to hand this souvenir back to you. With all our partners beside us, I hope that we never separate. Fate would agree that we all have suffered enough."

Caressing the indents on the hairpin, I won't lie that my eyes were not heavy with tears that laid tight for me to release them. If fate were not with us, then for sure this would be handed to me under grave circumstances.

"Did he suffer too much?" My voice is low and soft but not my emotions. They were under great turmoil.

"Would you believe if my answer was otherwise?" Placing his both arms behind his back, left palm clutching his right wrist, he takes a step forward, too close to the edge of the cliff.

"Irony that both of us embraced diabolical realm for another innocent being. We so easily have up our lives with no thought of any consequences." With a small smile he continues, "I was in pretty dark space when my soul came across Wei Wuxian. He was just a mere speck of dust, but his soul was powerful, resilient and courageous. He reminded me of, me.

"For reasons unknown back then my heart wanted to save him. Thus, I got him here where he nurtured himself back to his original self. During one of our weekly nights when I used to enquire about his health, he spoke in detail about you. He told me everything about his Lan Zhan. Agreed that back then he referred you as his close confidante, but a man who has lived in this entire realm for 800 years, I knew what he felt was beyond friendship. Everytime he uttered the name Lan Zhan, he would always add the word 'my' before. I hoped for him to realise where his heart lies. Lan Wangji, you did not reside in his heart." Turning to face me an unfathomable warmth swirled within his eyes, "You are his heart."

"Hua Cheng-" my emotions were blocked within me and this he could sense.

"We both know the pain of losing our partners. You suffered for 13 long years. So you would understand the agony of being unable to see, feel and sense your partner. Lan Wangji, in all my life I have never been selfish nor did this Hua Cheng ever dared to ask anyone anything, but -" bowing his head he continues, "for my GeGe, I dared to ask. For him, I had no choice but to seek your Wei Wuxian's help.

"I did not want my GeGe to feel the misery I felt for past 800 years. For me even if I had to live for eternity without him, this soul would have sacrificed everything dear to him to see his GeGe happy. But, I couldn't bear seeing my Dianxia cry. Me being the cause and unable to wipe those precious tears, I had to take this step. Wei Wuxian is a very powerful soul, who was the only one capable of helping me. Even though this pained my non existent heart, I still had only one hope, Lan Wangji. Your Wei Wuxian was my last hope. We both knew that this is dangerous, so I am-" walking close to where he was standing, I cut his words and nod, "You don't have to ever apologize."