Reproach

Xiao Zhan's POV:

"What are you saying Elder Patriarch?" Sizhui's voice is the only one to question Wei Wuxian, whereas the rest of us were shocked into silence.

Is he for real?

The man standing in front of us just revealed that he is going to sacrifice his own life for Akio to live!?

"Sizhui-" before Wei Wuxian could comfort him, he was cut by Sizhui's brazen approach, "No! You listen to me, Elder Patriarch! I-"

"Sizhui! Mind the tone of your language. Don't forget to whom your addressing." Watching Sizhui's ashen face at Lan Wangji's reproach, my heart pains for this family.

"I apologise Hanguang-Jun, but I cannot accept Elder Patriarch sacrificing his life for Akio or me. We'll find a way. There has to be another way! How can you expect me to agree wholeheartedly to this bizzare plan when I have seen you suffering for those 13 long years without Elder Patriarch? How can I make you unhappy and stay oblivious to your pain for the rest of our lives."

Walking towards Wei Wuxian and clasping his hand, Sizhui brings it towards his forehead and let's those heavy tears flow, "How can you bring up these words so casually? Did you expect that I would be so blinded by love to let you go? No, Elder Patriarch, I can never let you go, just the way Hanguang-Jun couldn't let you go. Akio and I will meet when we have to, but I cannot forgo your life. It's so precious. It was you who took care of me when I was still a kid. You were my Xian'Ge. You still are. Rather now you're so much more. I won't accept. I never will." With that he walks away and I watch Wei Wuxian giving a subtle nod to Akio who follows him out quietly.

Trailing my eyes to the one person who was absolutely quiet for the entire fiasco, Dai Tou.

Why don't you stop him?

Why don't you speak up?

Why are you so quiet?

Just as I was about to approach Dai Tou, he suddenly looks up and the words from his mouth sears my heart, "Will this work?"

"What?" Cocking his head to the side, Wei Wuxian questions Dai Tou.

"You just said that this soul transfusion is the only way my brother can survive. Will this work?"

The room was plunged into silence and only rythym I could hear is of Dai Tou's heart. What are you insinuating?

"I have faith, Wang Yibo." Wei Wuxian's answer causes a subtle change in Dai Tou's eyes and as he makes his way towards the other man, my breathing falters when the next moment Dai Tou falls on his knees and literally begs in front of Wei Wuxian, "Please save him. Please."

Quick to react, kneeling in front of Dai Tou, Wei Wuxian clutches his shoulders, "Wang Yibo-" but before he could complete, Dai Tou was resolute, "I want you to save my brother, but not at the cost of your life. Take mine instead. If any soul has to be sacrificed let that be mine."

His words burn my soul.

"I am his blood. He's mine to protect. If anyone has to give up it should be me." Tears trailing down he continues, "Lan Wangji once told me a story of a boy whom he loved since forever. I don't want my family to be the cause for your misery. Wei Wuxian, I cannot approve my brother's life to be traded with yours, so if you can save my brother, then use mine instead. Let that kid live. Please."

Dai Tou...

Feeling my pain, Wei Wuxian's gaze meets mine as if pleading me to instill some sense into Dai Tou, but I couldn't do it. How can I?