HuaLian

Wei Ying's POV:

Caressing the hairpin that was once gifted by my Lan Zhan to me, the pin softly raises from my palm and sways lightly in mid air. "Can you give this to my Lan Zhan?"

No further words were needed. He knew the insinuation behind them.

When I fell from the cliff of Nightless City, the red ribbon that adorned my hair was all that was left of me in the mortal realm, and when Lan Zhan found those last remnants of mine, the tattered ribbon were mere ashes in his palm

Unable to bear the anguish of having nothing of mine to call his own, when I returned after 13 years, he gave me a beautiful red jade hairpin. His words were "If nothing of you remains, atleast this would last with me forever. When my nights would be cold, this would give me comfort. Unlike your charred and tattered ribbon that were mere ashes in my hands."

It was my promise to him from then on, that everytime we separate, I shall have this on me at all times. Thus, me giving this pin to Hua Cheng meant that it was a farewell to my Lan Zhan.

"Why haven't you ever asked me for my story, Wei Wuxian?" Hua Cheng's spirt glows in front of me

"Why haven't you ever asked me for my story, Wei Wuxian?" Hua Cheng's spirt glows in front of me. With a smile I shake my head and remind him "You never asked mine either."

"True, but you did share your history with me." Taking a step closer to where I am perched on a stone by the river, he sighs softly, "No one has ever asked me for my story either. Would you care to listen?"

I nod knowing very well that somewhere the lives we both have led have been filled with pain and sorrow. A story that's worth a tale, tears worth a river cried and love that's worth to be relived time immemorial.

"Wei Wuxian, do you know which is that one memory I remember the most from my childhood?" He does not wait for me to answer "Hunger. Pain. Burn."

Drifting a little away from me, his voice is solemn, "The most vivid memory I have of my childhood is from when I was just 4 or 5 years old. A man lived with me inside a broken hut at outskirts of Kingdom of Xianle and mostly he was always drunk. Maybe he was my father or someone who merely took pity on me and raised me as his own. I would never know, but what this soul never could seem to forget is that one night few barbaric men barged into our house, killed that man and when I retaliated, they had no ounce of mercy on me, burnt the right side of my face and left me to scream in agony. It hasn't been easy. For next 5 years, I became a dread amongst other children of my age, people around treated me as a scum who covered the right side of his face. Everyday I became a rabid urchin who lived only for few morsels of food, and thus I would never forget the day this soul met his Dianxia. His GeGe. My Xie Lian.