𝐱𝐢𝐢𝐢. 𝐃𝐨𝐧'𝐭 𝐨𝐯𝐞𝐫𝐭𝐡𝐢𝐧𝐤 𝐢𝐭

✩᯽☾︎❄︎☽︎᯽✩

✩᯽☾︎❄︎☽︎᯽✩

"so if you're lonely, no need to show me. if you're lonely, come be lonely with me."
- this side of paradise, coyote theory

The sky had cleared up that night, the morning sun shining through the trees above the clear horizon. The atmosphere was still tinted orange when I emerged from the staircase, drowsiness still present in my yawning figure. I was going to show Tommy the map that morning, hoping to create a plan to sneak into the city. 

The waking breeze was cold against my frigid skin as I treaded through the damp snow towards Agny's pen, hoping to leave the castle early. I knew Tommy wouldn't be there at this time but my patience had already run out, having nothing better to do than go out into the wilderness.

I softly brushed the overnight frost off of the saddle and climbed up, making sure the map didn't slide out of my satchel. I adjusted it to sit perfectly on my shoulder and pulled on the reins, sending Agny flying out of the pen with great speed.

Her hooves sunk into the mushy snow with each step she took, leaving imprints trailing behind her. I looked back, seeing a path of animal tracks leading away from the house, giving away our position. I prayed they would cover over by nightfall, otherwise I would be in deep, deep trouble.

The leaves rustled around me, surrounding me with calming motions that cured my anxiousness. Icicles dangled underneath the lone, dead branches, barely scraping my head as we passed. My fingers curled around the leather reins as I grew lost in my own thoughts. I couldn't wait to hear what Tommy would have to say about my lucky finding.

꧁𖣔•❄︎•𖣔꧂    

As expected, Tommy wasn't there when I arrived. He wasn't standing there, sitting there or dangling off a tree, so I just had to wait. I jumped off of Agny and checked my satchel, making sure the map was still there. It was wrapped with a ribbon, keeping it neatly rolled up against the side of my decorated bag.

I left Agny to snuggle up against a tree while I stayed centred in the middle of the path, waiting for him to come bounding around the corner. I stood there, fiddling with my fingers, anxious for his arrival. That day was different, as it would decide my future, maybe even my destiny. It all came down to this, and I realised I wasn't prepared whatsoever.

Don't overthink it Khione, it'll all work out in the end. It always does. 

I always told myself that, yet there I was, alone in the arctic forest, isolated from society. I wished he would hurry up, that he would be there in a matter of seconds, taking me away from my own self-deprecating thoughts. I was never good at fighting against them, the bad thoughts, and they always ended up winning, no matter how hard I tried. It was like I was fighting against an evil version of myself and it always drove me insane.