𝐥. 𝐓𝐡𝐞 𝐜𝐨𝐧𝐟𝐞𝐬𝐬𝐢𝐨𝐧

✩᯽☾︎❄︎☽︎᯽✩

✩᯽☾︎❄︎☽︎᯽✩

"eyes are closed, I see your smile, your love. thinking this is what it could be, knowing it is all it won't be."
- night, adna

It had been a month, and not much had changed. It felt empty without him there. His presence always lifted the mood, but without him, nobody was there to uplift a sour moment. People would try, but no one could do it like Tommy. No one could ever do it like Tommy.

I was standing on the hill, his hill, that overlooked L'Manburg. It was a crumbled mess, with giant craters ten times bigger than beforehand, an array of plants and greenery filling the greyish area. There was a giant flag at the bottom of the endless pit, proudly displaying the city's culture and determination. It's legacy would always live on, especially if I had something to do with it.

I sighed, taking in the burnt city-no-longer beneath me before turning around to face him. Not him, his gravestone. Tears pricked my eyes at the sight of it. That was supposed to be me, not him. If only he had waited a second longer and he would be all right, we would all be okay.

His gravestone was the typical one - the grey arch with a few words imprinted on it - but it was what it said and had around it that made it his.

It read:

Thomas Simons

2004 - 2021

Our knight in a red and white t-shirt.

May you rest forever well with
your city you called home.

Surrounding the stone arch was a variety of things, but they were all his. There were L'Manburg flags, colourful disks, red and purple flowers, a compass and a bunch of emeralds, all meaning different things to different people, but all making the same impact. I was yet to contribute to the creation, as I barely even left the house, but that afternoon I'd changed my mind and decided to do it. It was for him, I had to.

I hung my head low with sorrow, my eyes catching on to the flowers I held in my hands. They were the exact same cornflowers he'd given me after his return, which were now dead, but they meant too much for me to just throw them away. I kneeled down across from his gravestone and laid them gently along the front, the red and white bow tying them together being the only thing to stop them from flying apart.

Once I had drawn my hand back, I sat comfortably on the soil below me, crossing my legs over one another and staring at his name inscribed on the rock. Without overthinking it, I reached back and pulled a piece of paper out of my back pocket, pulling the hood of my cape over my head in the process. I took a deep breath before folding open the note, looking back up to the grave.