one

AMELIAS POV
My alarm went off and I rolled over. I opened my eyes and got up and walked down the hallway to wake up my daughter Charlotte for school. She was 15, and exactly like me. She looked like me. Long curly brown hair. Funny. Smart. Lots of attitude. She was my mini me, and a mini Ryan sometimes. God I missed him. Charlotte grew up without a dad because of our drug choices and it's something I've always regretted. If we didn't do drugs that one last time she'd have a dad. I've dated a little bit in the last few years but not a lot. Not enough to introduce them to Charlotte a lot. I named her after Charlotte King, my sister in LA. God I miss her too. I opened Charlotte's door and she was asleep in her bed. She also loved her sleep like me.
"Charlotte," I said and rubbed her back. She rolled over and looked at me.
"I don't want to go to school," she said.
"I know you don't," I laughed, "but get up so we aren't late."
"Who is this we you don't go to school," she complained.
"I have a job to do smarty pants," I joked.
"Any interesting surgeries?" She asked as she sat up.
"I have a brain tumor removal this morning," I said.
"Can I just sit in the gallery instead of going to school," she said, "I'd learn more there anyway."
"No," I laughed, "good try though come on get up and we can go get coffee before school."
"Mhm okay," Charlotte said and got out of bed. I walked downstairs and got ready for work and grabbed my bag. Charlotte came downstairs and grabbed her backpack.
"Ready?" I asked.
"Yeah," she said. We walked out to the car and I drove to the local coffee shop. I ordered two coffees and we drank them in the car in the parking lot of her school.
"Do you have any tests today?" I asked.
"Chemistry," she said.
"Ooh fun," I said, "were you trying to skip that?"
"Definitely not," she laughed.
"Mhm," I chuckled. The time was now 7 and I looked over at her.
"Have a good day I love you," I said.
"I love you too, good luck in surgery," she said, "I'll take the bus home?"
"Yeah," I said.
"Okay bye mom," she said.
"Bye my Char Bug," I said.
"You know I hate that," she said.
"I know," I laughed as she got out and walked into the school. I drove to work and got out and changed in the attending's lounge. I walked out and saw her. Wow. She always looked so pretty. She was beautiful. My heart always skipped a beat when I saw her.
"Hey blondie," I said and stood next to her.
"Hey!" Arizona smiled, "what's up?"
"Waiting for my interns for rounds. You?" I asked.
"Same here, after rounds can you do a neuro check on this peds girl I have," Arizona asked.
"Yeah of course," I said. We both went our separate ways and I couldn't stop thinking about her, but I had a daughter, I couldn't be dating. I had enough on my hands, trust me a teenager daughter is a handful. Charlotte also doesn't know I'm bi. I mean nobody does. I haven't told anyone. A girl has never come up, and I haven't been in a serious relationship in years. I mean Charlotte's a teenager, she'd accept me right? I mean her generation is so accepting about everything. I don't know, it's weird. She probably always thought I'd date a man that she could call dad one day, which didn't happen anyway.
"Hey you okay?" Meredith asked. She broke me from my thoughts and I looked up.
"Yeah," I said.
"Just thinking?" She said.
"Yeah, big surgery coming up," I said.
"You'll do fine," she said, "Anyway Derek wants to throw a dinner party this weekend with a bunch of people from work, you and Charlotte in? The kids will be home."
"Who's going?" I chuckled.
"Oh come on you're coming," Meredith said.
"Oooh going where?" Arizona said as she walked up next to me.
"To my dinner party, which you already said yes to," Meredith said. Well if Arizona was going I was going.
"Sure Charlotte and I will be there," I said.
"Great love you," Meredith said.
"Love you too," I chuckled. I turned to look at Arizona.
"I hate dinner parties," I chuckled.
"Me too," she shrugged, "Anyway who's Charlotte?"
"Oh that's my daughter," I said, "she's 15."
"Nice," Arizona said.
"Yeah," I said, "Did you need that neuro consult still?"
"Yeah," Arizona said, "let's go."
-
"I'm home!" I said as I opened the front door. I walked into the kitchen and put my stuff down, and Charlotte was upstairs. I walked upstairs and opened her door and she looked up from her computer.
"Hey," I said, "how was the chem test?"
"Good," she said, "how was surgery?"
"Went well," I said and sat down at the edge of her bed, "so we're going to Aunt Meredith's and Uncle Derek's this weekend for a dinner party."
"Don't you hate dinner parties," she laughed.
"Yes but I got dragged into it so please don't plan anything for Saturday," I laughed.
"Can you bring one of your cute coworkers home one of these times? You're so boring," Charlotte joked.
"Shut up," I said.
"Mom they're all attractive just pick one," she said.
"No," I laughed.
"You have to like one of them," she said, "spill."
"You spill about who you like," I laughed.
"No," she chuckled, "so we really have to go to this thing?"
"We really have to go to this thing," I said.