fifty two

AMELIAS POV
Arizona was holding my hand next to me as we sat in the waiting room. Tara and her family were waiting too. I felt like the surgery was taking too long. I wanted to go check on them. I needed to know what was going on.
"Can we go to the gallery?" I asked Arizona.
"Amelia you know we can't go in there," Arizona said, "Derek or Meredith will give us updates."
"She has to be okay," I sniffled, "she has to she can't die Arizona."
"She won't. April is an amazing surgeon. And Meredith is in there with her. Those two will not let Charlotte die," Arizona said, "you know she's in the best hands."
"I know," I said, "I just can't believe this happened."
"Did she say what happened?" Arizona asked.
"She told me he hit her, she said nothing else happened. I hope she's telling the truth because if she was raped all the evidence goes away after surgery," I said.
"I'm sure she told the truth. She's smart and wouldn't lie to you," Arizona said, "she knows to stand up for herself I'm sure she's telling the truth that he didn't touch her like that."
"Can I go to the chapel?" I looked at her.
"Yeah," she said, "want me to come with?"
"I need to talk to Ryan," I said, "I need to be alone."
"Of course, I'll be here when you're done and if any updates come I'll come get you okay?" She said and kissed me.
"Okay," Amelia said, "I love you."
"I love you too," I said. I walked down the hall and sat down in one of the pews. I looked at the alter and didn't know what to say. I wasn't religious. I don't really pray. I just talk out loud sometimes and hope Ryan can hear me.
"Hey Ryan," I said softly, "It's me again. I know I haven't said anything in a while. I'm sorry. I'm sorry it took something like this for me to talk to you again. I don't know if you can see Charlotte right now. I hope you're with her, looking over her, please protect her. She has to pull out of this. She misses you so much, she wishes more than anything she could meet you. I wish you two could have met too. You would have been the perfect father. You wanted a family more than anything in the world. Reminds me of my friend Owen. You and him would have gotten along. Anyway Charlotte needs your help. I know April and Meredith are great surgeons, and I just need our baby girl to be okay. I love you, and I hope you heard me." The candles flickered a little bit and I took that as a sign that he heard me. I wiped my tears and got up and walked towards the door. I walked down the hall and still saw Arizona and Tara and her family. I sat down next to Arizona and she held my hand.
"I didn't want to disturb you, Derek came out and said they're almost at closing," Arizona said softly.
"That's good, thank you," I said.
-
I saw Derek, Meredith, and April come into the waiting room. Tara's parents woke her up as she fell asleep an hour ago.
"She's okay, she's upstairs in recovery," April said. I got up and hugged her tightly.
"Thank you so much," I said crying.
"She did great in surgery," April said. I hugged Meredith and Derek and then Arizona tightly.
"She's okay," I said as I hugged her.
"I knew she would, let's go see her," Arizona smiled. All of us got in the elevator and walked upstairs.
"She's okay right?" Tara asked.
"She's okay," I smiled.
-
Charlotte hadn't woken up yet. I was sitting next to Arizona, and I was holding Charlotte's hand.
"Why hasn't she woken up?" I asked worried.
"She was under a lot of anesthesia Amy," Derek said.
"She'll wake up soon," Arizona said and patted my leg.
"Yeah," I said. A few minutes later Charlotte started coughing and her eyes opened.
"Charlotte!" I said and got up and squeezed her hand, "how are you feeling?"
"Sore," she said.
"I love you," I said.
"I love you too," she said. I kissed her head and she squeezed my hand.
"Can I just talk to my mom?" Charlotte asked.
"Yeah," Arizona, Derek, and Meredith said. They left and closed the door and I looked over at my daughter. She looked so upset and my heart broke.
"Hey," I said softly.
"Hey," she said.
"Wanna tell me what happened?" I asked but didn't pry.
"I'm so stupid," she said.
"Charlotte this isn't your fault," I said.
"Yes it is! I'm literally an idiot. He told me he wanted to apologize to me and I believed him and then he started slapping and punching me. After last time I should have been smarter than to be alone with him again," she cried.
"This isn't your fault," I said, "Charlotte none of this is your fault I promise."
"I want to go home," she said.
"You can't yet," I said.
"Okay," she frowned.
"Charlotte none of this is your fault. You didn't do anything to deserve this," I said.
"What happened to Tara?" She asked.
"She's still here, she went to go grab something to eat with her parents. I can go get her for you," I said. She nodded. I walked down the hallway and found Tara and told her Charlotte was awake. I found Arizona and grabbed her hand and walked down the hallway. I opened the door to my office and started crying. Arizona wrapped me in a hug and kissed my head.
"What did she say?" Arizona asked.
"She feels like it's all her fault," I sobbed, "I don't know how to make her see it's not." I cried into her as she sat down on the couch and Arizona rubbed my back.
"I'll talk to her okay? Want me to try?" Arizona offered.
"Please," I said, hoping Charlotte would be okay. She can't live with the weight of thinking this was her fault. It'll crush her, and there's nothing I can do about it.