thirty eight

AMELIAS POV
"I have to show you something," Barbara said as she grabbed my arm.
"Okay," I laughed as she grabbed a book out of her suitcase. I sat down next to her on the guest bedroom and she opened the book.
"Baby Arizona!" I smiled as she flipped through the pages.
"Yup," Barbara said, "she would kill me if she knew I brought this."
"Is that Tim?" I gently asked as Arizona was hugging a boy about 7 years old.
"Yeah," she smiled, "my little Timothy."
"I'm very sorry," I said.
"It's okay," Barbara said, "and Arizona told us that we can have a moment for him at the wedding, I appreciate it."
"Of course," I said as she hugged me.
"Thank you," she said.
"You're welcome," I said.
"And what are we doing in here?" Arizona chuckled.
"Looking at your baby pictures," I giggled.
"Mom!" Arizona complained.
"Arizona baby you're adorable," I pointed out.
"She's right you were a cute baby," Barbara said.
"Where's your father?" Barbara asked.
"He's playing cards with Charlotte in the kitchen," Arizona said.
"Come sit," I said and she sat down next to me.
"You two look so happy," Barbara smiled, "I love it."
CHARLOTTES POV
Arizonas family was so polite and nice. I loved them. I think they liked my mom and I too, I don't know. It was late and I was finishing up some of my weekend homework so I didn't have to do it tomorrow. I was writing my math homework and my door open. I turned to see my mom.
"Whatcha doing?" She asked.
"Math homework," I said.
"Wanna come downstairs we're eating ice cream," she chuckled.
"Don't have to ask me twice," I laughed. I walked downstairs with her and Arizona and her parents were laughing in the kitchen. They were such happy people. I know deep down it hurts my mom that her mom can't be happy for her. It makes me sad for her too. She does everything for me, and I just wish she had a mother who would do the same for her. My mom handed me an ice cream bowl and I smiled.
"How's the homework going kiddo?" Arizonas dad asked me.
"Lengthy," I chuckled.
"Math again?" Arizona asked.
"Yup," I said, "I'm glad Arizonas good at math because my mom isn't."
"Oh my gosh middle school math was a hard few years for us," my mom laughed as we sat down in the living room to turn a movie on.
ARIZONAS POV
"Shit," Amelia said.
"Honey?" I asked.
"Shit shit shit shit!" She said as she came out of the bathroom in pajamas.
"What's wrong?" I asked.
"My mom," she said, "she found out about the engagement and is stopping by tomorrow."
"Okay just breathe," I said and brought her into a hug, "just breathe okay let's talk about this."
"What is there to talk about? She's just going to come here and ridicule you and me!" She yelled.
"Okay babe calm down," I said and rubbed her back, "we'll figure something out."
"And your parents are still here, I don't want them to hear what my mom has to say about you," she said.
"We'll figure it out," I said, "maybe we could do a meal? Maybe then she'll talk to my parents and will leave you alone."
"She can never leave me alone," Amelia said.
"Maybe she wants to say congratulations?" I said. Amelia gave me a look and walked over to the bed. She got under the covers and and faced the wall.
"Amelia," I said softly.
"I don't want to talk," she said in a weak voice. Her voice was shaking and I knew she was crying. I could hear her quiet sniffles and my heart broke.
"Ames," I said.
"Let it go please," she cried.
"Talk to me," I said.
"Please let it go," she said, "please Arizona." I gave in and wrapped my arms around her. She cried harder and I frowned.
"Amelia it'll be okay sweetheart," I said.
"It's never okay," she said and sat up, "she has to ruin everything. I want to go to sleep. Please?"
"Okay," I said, "goodnight."
"I love you," Amelia said.
"I love you too Ames," I said. We laid back down and she fell asleep softly crying as I rubbed her back. I hated how her mother made her feel.
-
AMELIAS POV
I woke up and Arizona was still asleep. My mom was coming for lunch. I think I was going to be sick. Everything went so well with Barbara and Dan yesterday and it was all going to be ruined. I walked downstairs and Barbara was in the kitchen.
"Good morning," she smiled.
"Good morning," I said. I heard the shake in my voice but she must have not noticed. I went to go grab a mug and my hands were so shaky. This couldn't be happening. Everything went so well. They liked Charlotte and I, and now my mother was coming to ruin everything.
"Amelia? Honey are you okay?" Barbara asked me.
"My mom is coming to lunch today," I said, "uh she is coming uninvited and last time she came over she didn't approve of Arizona and I's relationship so I'm scared how she'll react to our engagement, and everything with you and your husband went so well yesterday I'm afraid it will all be ruined with the hurtful things she has to say."
"Oh Amelia," Barbara said, "we won't think differently no matter what your mother says. I know some parents aren't as accepting of some relationships, but I love you and Arizona together, and I adore your daughter Charlotte. Dan does too. No matter what happens with your mother, it won't affect how we feel about you as our daughters fiancé and about your wedding. Well always be in your corner." I smiled as I could feel tears coming down my face.
"Thank you," I said.
"Honey well always be here for you," Barbara said, "you Arizona, and Charlotte. All three of you are our family."