twenty six

AMELIAS POV
Charlotte was worried about me. I never wanted that. That was my wake up call. I needed to get my shit together. I showered and went to work today. I was just doing some charts. I did miss operating. I really did.
"Amelia," Derek said and handed me a CT scan.
"Yeah?" I said.
"Wanna clip this together?" He asked.
"Really?" I said, "I thought I wasn't operating today?"
"If you don't want it I can give it away," he shrugged.
"No I want it," I said.
"Okay let's go scrub in alright?" Derek said. It felt good to get back into work. I needed to be here, Charlotte was right, I needed to go to work. I feel bad that she was so worried about me. I felt awful about it, but I was okay, I'd be back to normal soon.
ARIZONAS POV
I missed her so much. So much. I wanted to hold her in my arms and smell her hair and tell her how much I loved her. I want to know how she's doing. I was sitting in my hotel room before my shift and I grabbed my phone. I want to call her, I want to text her. But she probably wouldn't answer. I made her mad, and I don't blame her for wanting nothing to do with me. I looked out my window and smiled at the beautiful African terrain. Two more months and I could see her again, but my biggest fear is that she'll be with someone else. She had every right to be, we were broken up. She had no obligation to wait for me. I sighed as I closed my blinds and went to make some coffee and lunch. I heated up the water for my coffee and grabbed two eggs from the refrigerator. I cracked them on a pan and started scrambling the eggs. My coffee was done and I took it out of the brewer and poured it into a mug. I had about an hour before I had to go to work to see the tiny humans. As much as I missed Amelia, it would be so hard to leave them. They were all so precious, but my heart was in two places. My heart was with the tiny humans, but it was also with the girl I loved more than life itself.
AMELIAS POV
I brought dinner home and walked into the kitchen. Charlotte was sitting at the table watching a video for school on her laptop.
"You're home!" She smiled and got up and hugged me.
"Yeah," I said, "hey, thank you for talking to Derek, and I'm sorry I worried you so much. I'm going back to work full time alright?"
"I'm glad," she said, "you look happy you love work."
"Yeah," I said, "I love you too Char."
"I love you mom," she said, "so how was work?"
"Good actually it felt good to be back. I missed it, but boy was it exhausting no wonder I loved laying on the couch all day," I laughed and Charlotte chuckled. We sat down to eat dinner together.
"Why don't you call her?" She asked suddenly.
"Arizona?" I said.
"If you miss her this much I'm sure she misses you," she said, "just call her."
"What if she doesn't pick up?" I asked.
"What if she does," she said.
"I'll call her after dinner," I said. She smiled and went back to eating dinner. Maybe Charlotte was right, maybe she would pick up. I just hoped she missed me as much as I missed her. We finished dinner and I cleaned the kitchen up and then grabbed my phone. I dialed Arizona's phone number and held the phone to my ear. It rang and rang, and I almost gave up until I heard her voice.
"Hello? Doctor Robbins speaking," she said tiredly.
"Uh hey," I said.
"Amelia!" She almost yelled.
"How are you?" I asked.
"I'm good, uh I'm a little tired sorry I didn't answer right away it's early," she said.
"I'm sorry did I wake you?" I feared.
"No no it's fine," she said. We sat there for a few moments in silence. I could hear her still breathing on the other side of the phone so I knew she was there.
"I miss you Ames," she said softly after a few minutes.
"I miss you too," I said.
"I'm really sorry," she said, "I just, you have to see these kids they're incredible, and they need my help, but I shouldn't have treated you the way that I did. I just feared you didn't want me to go so I didn't tell you when I applied because I didn't think I'd get it. I should have just talked to you about it instead of leaving and making myself miserable thinking about being without you."
"I forgive you," I said, "I really really miss you. It's okay. I know you're saving tiny humans which is your favorite thing. I'm proud of you for helping them."
"You know my favorite thing is you," she said.
"Stop it," I chuckled.
"How are you?" She asked.
"I've been alright," I sighed, "not great."
"I'm sorry Ames," she said.
"No, it's fine, I'm better it's alright. I just had a few days I didn't feel the best but Charlotte forced my ass to work today," I chuckled, "I'm okay."
"How is Charlotte?" Arizona asked.
"She's good, still hating school, but she's good," I said.
"Tell her I said hi?" She said softly.
"I'll tell her you said hi," I said.
"Can I ask you something?" She said.
"Sure," I said.
"When I get back do you think we can start over?" She asked.
"Why start over?" I said, "why don't we continue before the fight."
"I'd like that," she said, "Amelia I'd really like that."
"I'd really like that too," I said. I heard a beep go off in the background.
"Oh crap," she said, "hospital is calling me, I gotta go."
"Okay," I said, "go save some tiny humans."
"I love you," she said.
"I love you too," I smiled as I hung up.