forty

ARIZONAS POV
Carolyn stormed out and Amelia ran upstairs upset. I frowned. I hated how her mother treats her.
"Is there anything we can do?" My dad asked.
"I'm gonna go talk to her," I said. I beat Charlotte up the stairs and went into our bedroom first. I heard muffled sobs coming from our bathroom. I knocked on the bathroom door and I heard her attempt to stop crying and it broke my heart. I went to turn the door handle but the door was locked.
"Amelia it's me," I said. She cried harder and I knocked on the door again.
"Can I come in?" I asked.
"I'm sorry," Amelia said.
"What are you apologizing for?" I said.
"I'm ruining the weekend with your parents," Amelia said.
"Open the door," I said.
"Leave me alone," Amelia cried.
"Ames honey just open the door," I said. She unlocked the door and her eyes were already puffy and red. I wrapped her in a hug as we sat down on the floor and she cried.
"What did she say to you?" I asked.
"It's not important," Amelia cried.
"Obviously it hurt you, and for the record you aren't ruining the weekend with my parents," I said.
"Yes I am!" She cried, "I'm up here crying over my stupid mother when they flew in from Colorado to meet Charlotte and I, and I'll I can do is cry!"
"Amelia they love you," I said, "they do I promise. They understand family is complicated, they don't think of you any less because you got in an argument with your mother. You know that deep down."
"I feel bad," Amelia sobbed, "I just wanted to have a fun weekend with your parents and my mom has to ruin everything."
"It's not your fault. You handled everything how you could. She showed up and it's not your fault," I said as I rubbed her back.
"She told me if I didn't take drugs I would have married Charlotte's dad and that my life wouldn't be this mess she calls it," Amelia said quietly.
"She said that?" I said. Amelia nodded as she sat up next to me.
"I told you it was bad," she said in a small voice.
"Just don't invite her to the wedding," I shrugged.
"Already told her she's not," Amelia said, "Are your parents still downstairs?"
"Yup," I said, "and you're not going down there to apologize you didn't do anything wrong and they aren't mad at you."
"Where's Charlotte?" Amelia asked me.
"I beat her up the stairs so I got first dibs on talk to you," I chuckled and she giggled.
"My two children," she joked as we got up. She wiped her eyes and we walked out of our bedroom and Charlotte was in the hallway.
"Are you okay?" She asked Amelia as Amelia hugged her.
"I'm okay don't worry about it," Amelia said as we walked downstairs. We decided to play a board game with my parents, and I noticed Amelia starting to feel a little better.
AMELIAS POV
I walked into the bathroom and closed the door behind me. Barbara and Dan were already asleep, and Charlotte was watching Netflix in her bedroom. I took my shirt off as I looked in the mirror and yawned. I was exhausted. Today was exhausting. I hate how I have to defend myself to my mother constantly. Like I have to rationalize my choices for her, as if I'm not a grown adult myself. I sighed as I unclasped my bra as I turned the shower on. I heard the door open and I turned to see Arizona.
"Oh hey - sorry," Arizona said.
"Come in," I said softly.
"You're sure?" Arizona asked. I nodded as she came over and kissed me.
"Shower with me," I said quietly.
"Okay," she smiled as she got undressed and we got in the shower.
"You feeling okay now?" Arizona asked as she massaged my scalp and washed my hair.
"Yeah," I said softly.
"My parents do love you and Charlotte," Arizona responded, "they're sad they have to leave tomorrow."
"Well they're welcome anytime," I said as I rinsed my hair.
"You didn't ruin anything," she said and kissed me, "I promise."
"Okay," I nodded.
"I love you," she said.
"I love you too," I said.
-
Arizona and I got dressed and we got into bed. I pulled the blanket over us and I snuggled into her chest. Arizona rubbed my back as we turned mindless TV on.
"I can't wait to marry you," I said.
"I can't wait to marry you," she giggled, "my pretty bride."
"No you're my pretty bride," I said and kissed her.
"You're the prettiest," Arizona said.
"That's you honey," I smiled and kissed her again.