seventy one

DEREKS POV
My mother was in town. I'm sure she stopped by Amelia's house because that's what she always does. I don't know if she knows that Charlotte has a girlfriend. She might. I'm not sure. I don't see why it matters anyway, but my mom just loves to rub Amelia the wrong way. The front door opened and I looked out from the kitchen and it was my mom.
"You will never believe what just happened!" My mom said.
"Hi mom. Welcome to Seattle. How are you?" I joked, "Bailey we'll finish this later let me talk to grandma." Bailey nodded and ran out of the room while my mom sat down.
"Where did you go?" I asked.
"Amelias," she said.
"Why?" I said, "you should just leave Amelia alone."
"Are you serious? Did you know that Charlotte has a girlfriend now too?" My mom said.
"Yeah Amelia told me," I said.
"And you don't see anything wrong with that!" My mom said.
"No, I mean unless her girlfriend is a criminal or some felon I don't see a problem with her," I shrugged.
"She's confused, she's 17," my mom said.
"What do you care about it? Does it really affect you?" I said. Meredith came into the kitchen and I knew she was gonna get sucked into this conversation.
"It all started with Arizona," my mom said.
"What started with Arizona?" Meredith asked.
"This stupid bisexual fantasy!" My mom said, "Charlotte saw that and thinks it's okay!"
"You know they're married right?" I said, "it's not really a "fantasy" that's Amelia's wife."
"And it's okay," Meredith said, "I mean they love each other. Who cares if they're two women? And who cares if Charlotte likes girls too? I don't really think it's any of our business if they're happy."
"Yeah mom Amy has been the happiest she's been in a long time," I said. My phone buzzed and it was Amelia calling. I grabbed it before my mother could see and answered it.
"Amelia?" I answered.
"Hey," she sniffled.
"What's wrong?" I asked.
"Is mom at your house?" She asked.
"Yeah," I said.
"Fuck," she said.
"Amelia what's wrong?" I asked.
"She came over today," Amelia cried, "and she hit me."
"What!" I yelled through the phone, "where?"
"She slapped me, twice," Amelia said quietly, "Don't tell her I called you."
"Wheres Arizona?" I asked.
"She's asleep. Everyone's asleep," she said. She sounded so upset.
"Are you hurt?" I asked.
"I iced it it's fine," she said, "is mom talking about me?"
"It doesn't matter she's not staying here anymore," I said.
"Okay," Amelia said.
"I'm sorry she treats you like this," I said.
"I wish she would just accept Arizona as my wife and leave Charlotte out of everything," Amelia sighed, "this is the reason why I never came out as a child. It would have been so much worse for me if I did."
"I'm sorry," I frowned, "I love you Amy."
"I love you too," She said. I hung up and walked back into the kitchen. I was mad. She hit Amelia. Nobody touches my baby sister like that, I don't even care if she's my mother.
"Why the fuck did you slap Amelia?" I looked at her.
"Oh is that what she's telling you?" My mom said.
"I'm not messing around did you slap her?" I said. Meredith looked shocked as I asked the question.
"Yes," my mom said, "but you should have seen how she's raising your niece! That's not right!"
"You know you don't raise people a sexuality you raise them a person and no matter who Charlotte dates Amelia raised a really great kid," Meredith defended.
"Get out of my house," I said.
"I'm your mother you can't kick me out," my mom said.
"And Amelia is my sister so I just chose sides and I said get out of my house," I said.