Chapter 60 - Epilogue

song: The Cinematic Orchestra "To build a home"

Six months later.

I had a date tonight. Because he'd asked me to dress up and I didn't want to disappoint him, I put on a nice linen suit, dress shoes and all the works. It had become a regular occurrence, and sometimes we celebrated something special, sometimes just the two of us, sometimes with the whole pack of hooligans and their significant others, or sometimes with our families. Every time had been enjoyable and fun. Spending time with Natee and Junior had turned Saifah into a sociable person; I enjoyed seeing that side of him flourish.

He was usually in tune with what we both wanted, and those times never felt intrusive or forced, but tonight I could happily have put on some sweats to watch a movie. The week had been busy and I was tired, which he was aware of and a small part of me was annoyed. However, my curiosity was piqued, so I pushed aside my irritation, and got ready to celebrate with him.

At his place, a note told me to head to the roof; I was glad we weren't going out. The sun was setting, and the cozy atmosphere of the terrace was lovely. I was taken aback to find the whole space decorated. Did I forget our anniversary? No. That wouldn't be for another three and a half months. His birthday? No, no... we'd celebrated that last month. I exhaled. I really hadn't forgotten anything big.

Then, what was he up to? Could it be about that promotion he was up for? That had to be it. His back was to me, so I snuck up behind him for a hug. It felt wonderful.

"Sai, what's all this? Ooooh yum... the food smells so good."

He turned around, bending down to kiss me. Thoroughly. Why was he always so delicious? I instantly wanted more and came closer, only to be thwarted.

"Eat first, fun later. You had a long day and I've got some news."

I pouted and grumbled, but since he'd prepared my favorite meal, I forgave him. I grabbed some wine and sat down. The air was cooling down slowly, and a light breeze had risen. I relaxed, happy the week was finally over, and looking forward to the weekend. I watched him finish setting the table, enjoying the view.

Over the past few months, we'd settled into a comfortable routine. I was pleasantly surprised to realize that most of our preferences complemented each other, especially when it came to the kitchen. He enjoyed cooking, and I was happy to be the clean up crew, especially after a few more hair raising experiences. I smiled at the memories. He looked up with one arched eyebrow; a questioning expression I'd come to recognize.

"I'm just enjoying the evening, I was feeling lazy, but now I'm glad to be up here. I really love this place."

He grinned back, looking mischievous.

"You have no idea how pleased I am to hear it"

Huh, ok. Really, what was he up to? He uncovered a couple of pots and the smell of food instantly distracted me. I started eating as soon as he'd filled my plate.

"This is so good, baby. I swear, it gets better everytime you make it!!"

His smile was so broad that his eyes were half closed, lovely wrinkles forming at the corners. My heart did its usual flip-flop. A part of me wished to go back to the apartment to get him naked, but the other wanted actual dessert. The latter won when I saw what he'd made.

By the time he handed me seconds and had refilled my glass, I was growing very curious. I ate a few spoonfuls, took a sip of wine, and reclined against the chair, waiting. I'd learned not to press him when he had something important to say. I closed my eyes, enjoying the wind brushing against my skin and the indie music playing in the background.