Chapter 21

Song: Joel Kroeker, "Simple"

This was fun. I'd never dared to tease him or flirt with him this directly before, and he looked flabbergasted by it. He had always appeared so unreadable in the past, but tonight, he was wearing his emotions on his face. Oh dear, I may have broken him! He sat, staring in the distance with unfocused eyes. If I didn't snap him out of it, he'd end up staying like this until the morning. I chuckled inwardly, feeling amused at this role reversal.

"Earth to Sai, do you copy?"

I flicked his forehead lightly, and he looked at me, still slightly dazed.

"Errr... Zon, sorry. What did you say?"

He had no idea how adorable he was. I slowly got up, taking his hand and smiling at him.

"I asked if you were still here."

"Oh, yes. I am. I'm sorry, I phased out."

"It's alright. It's getting late, so let's get ready to sleep."

He looked exhausted now, likely the result of a busy week and a somewhat overwhelming evening.

"Come on, give me something I can sleep in, and I'll go shower."

"Oh, yes. Ok. Come with me."

He led me to his bedroom and fumbled in the closet before handing me a pair of comfy shorts and a t-shirt.

"Thanks, Sai. Where is the bathroom?"

"This way. Just give me a minute, and I'll get you towels and a toothbrush."

"Great, thank you."

I showered and changed quickly. I started to feel tired too; I wouldn't stay awake for long. I found him spread eagle on his bed, his long legs dangling over the side. I called his name softly, He opened his eyes and smiled.

"I'm done, your turn."

He nodded and sat up on the edge of the bed. I stepped between his legs, put my hands on his shoulders and bent down to kiss his nose. It was so enjoyable to touch him without restraint. His arms came up and he pulled me in. He rested his face on my stomach as I stroked his hair. After a little while, I kissed the top of his head and pulled back, telling him to go shower. He gave me a dejected look and stood up. I felt like I just kicked a puppy.

"Don't look so miserable, I'll cuddle you when you come back."

He beamed at me and sauntered off to the bathroom. In the meantime, I folded my clothes, placed them on a chair and settled in bed against some pillows. I grabbed the book I saw on the nightstand and laughed out loud. It was entitled "The Secret Garden", and it was a romance novel. Some things hadn't changed. I lay back and started reading. I was engrossed in the story when a panicked voice startled me.

"Put that book down!!"

"No way, I'm getting to the good part."

I looked up and winked at him.

"It seems your taste hasn't changed." I said, teasing him.

Before I could move, he launched himself at me to wrestle the book out of my hands, sending it flying. I found myself pinned under his large frame, both of us giggling like idiots.

"Fine, I surrender. I'll stop reading."

"That's more like it."

He bent down and kissed me.