Part 32

Flashback>>>>>>>>>>
4 years ago

I got up from sleep due to a loud noice. Something fell off to the ground heavily or something has broken. I started wondering what is it and heard my mom screaming downstairs
"You can't do this to her Jonakins. She is our daughter"
"I know this Finnie. But we don't have any option"

I silently came to the head of the stairs without letting them know my presence. Lauriya is with Ted at hospital. I am alone with mom dad. But why they are screaming? And what will dad do to me and Lauriya?

"This is not the right solution for God's sake"
"Lower your voice. Alis might hear you"
"She should know how great her father is!"

For a couple of minutes, dad remained silent. And I heard his sobbing tone
"You know this Hannah, my hands and legs are tied"
"I won’t ever give you permission"
"It hurts me too. But you know we have to make sacrifices"
"We will surely find other way. Not this"

Mom headed to the stairs. And I quickly walked to my room and laid down on my bed. A thousand of questions is roaming at my head. What is it? What sacrifice? What they will find? Why dad's hand and legs are being tied?

I slept again thinking about this all. I got up due to Lauriya's call
"Get up lazy"
I squeezed my eyes and asked
"What happened?"
"Mom and dad's calling you"

I went downstairs and found of them sitting in a chair. They smiled at me. I noticed the tv is broken. Must be this is the reason why I got up from bed due to heavy noice.
"How did it broke?"
"Well, your father and I was having a fight. And I broke it" mom replied
"Why did you guys fought?" Lauriya asked
"Nothing dear. Couple things" dad assured.

I sat down at table. It's evening. And mom made pastas. I shoved them in my mouth without complaining. We have been eating pasta since months after having shortage of money.
"Charlie Chaplin, make me a good coffee" dad told
"Okay dad"

Mom said
"Ted's birthday is coming"
"Can't he come home for his birthday?" Lauriya asked
"I have to talk with the doctors" dad said
"What about the money?" I asked slowly. I saw dad's face has turned dark.

Dad has been declared bankrupt. 2 months ago, he sold all the brothels he owned inherently and he spent all the money in Ted's treatment. He is now working as a employee in a company. I don’t even have money to go to college. Lauriya has been passing well with the scholarships and grants. Mom is working as a waiter in a restaurant for helping dad financially.

"Don't worry about that. We will manage" mom assured.
"Me and mom will buy staffs and Lauriya and dad will decorate it" I said.
"And you will be shoving popcorns while we will be working" Lauriya pinched
"Not at all. I will be cooking" I defended myself
"So It's done. I want my baby's birthday to be perfect. He has been talking less now a days" dad replied

I saw a tear dropped from my mom's eyes. Mom has been heartbroken since Ted had been diagnosed with Tuberculosis. We never talk about this in front of mom. But dad mistakenly slipped out.

Me, dad and Lauriya got up from our respective seats and hugged mom. We really miss Ted. The environment of house has never been the same after his sickness.

"Are you ready honey?" mom asked from downstairs
"Coming mom"
I walked downstairs and joined mom
"My princess is looking beautiful today"
She gave me a cheek kiss.
"Thanks mom"
"Let's go"

We are heading towards the state store to buy things for Ted's birthday and we are given only limited allowance to spent. Mom is driving and I am enjoying the scene of my familiar roads. It's night and the roads are decorated with as usual lights. They all have a colour in their life except me. My all friends have already started college but I am just sitting at home and doing nothing. I last saw them in a summer camp months ago and now all of them have disappeared.
"Dear" mom called me
"Yes mom"
"What if I and dad do something to you that you never expected from us?"