Chapter 5

I woke up the next morning to my phone ringing beside me. Anna.
I accepted the call "Morning Anna, what's up?"
"What's up?! Girl. I want news."
"God. You really don't have better things to do, do you?"
"Not when my best friend had a date last night with Gary Barlow, no."
"Well, what do you want to know?"
"What did he say to your outfit?"
"Absolutely amazing."
"Where did you go?"
"To a fancy restaurant."
"Who paid for the meal?"
"He did." "And---"
"Jesus, is it 20 questions with you today? You know you just woke me up."
"You told me to ask you what I wanted to know!"
"Duh.... as long as you don't go and tell everything to 'The Sun', go on" I rolled my eyes.
"Stop rolling your eyes Clara, cause even though I can't see you, I know you are. And no, I won't tell anyone. So... What happened afterwards?"
"He took me back to my place and he kissed me and said he wants to see me again."
I blushed a little only thinking of it, but at the same time I had to remain cool, I didn't want to fall for him that fast.
"AHHHHH Girl! Can't believe it. HE. KISSED. YOU. How was it?"
"Amazing."
"Ok, I'll leave you now, I have to go to work. See u."
"Bye."
Finally. I really loved Anna, but sometimes she was really annoying. Not that I was any better, it had always been like this, calling the other one the morning after a first date to squeeze her out about it. I thought about Gary. When would he call? What if he didn't call at all? What if he regretted everything today? My stomach turned around. No. He would call, even if he wouldn't want to see me again. I decided to take a shower.

When I came out I looked at my phone to see if I had any missed calls or new messages. Nothing. Well, it was only 9 o'clock. He was probably still sleeping or he was already working, he and the boys had some promotion to do, that's what he had told me yesterday.

I made myself some tea and read a little, what else to do when you have no job? Suddenly my phone rang. I jumped up and secretly hoped it would be Gary, but it was only my mum.
I tried not to sound too disappointed and answered it "Hi mum."
"Hi darling. How are you?"
"I'm fine thanks."
"How is it going?"
"Great. I even have a job interview on Friday."
"Oh, that's great!"
"How's dad?"
"He is fine, currently playing with the kids outside, your brother and Sarah went on a little holiday."
"That's good."
"Yeah, yeah, but we miss you", my mum said and I could hear her sigh through the phone.
I sighed back "Mum, I miss you too, but this, here in London, it just feels right."
"I know, Clara, I know."

After ending the call I wanted no I needed some fresh air, so I went for a walk. I decided to grab some lunch and a coffee on my way home as I realised it was 11:30 now and I hadn't eaten a single thing so far.

When I got back home I saw the tulips from Gary on the kitchen table. They were beautiful. I remembered the kiss and felt butterflies in the pit of my stomach, but at the same time I felt a small lump in my throat. I never ever wanted a man to call me as much as this time. It wasn't because it was Gary Barlow, the popstar with millions of pounds. No, it was because he was Gary, a special human being, a normal guy who is very handsome and well mannered, at least that's how it felt. Special. In the short time I had known him personally he had gotten under my skin and even if I hadn't allowed myself to fall for him, it was happening, slowly, but it was.

Suddenly my phone rang.
Without looking I answered "Hello?"
"Hello Clara, it's Gary."
I smiled when I heard his voice.
"Clara?"
"Oh sorry. Hello Gary. Nice to hear you so soon."
"Yeah, I would have called earlier but I didn't want to wake you up and I was working so.... I would love to see you again. Do you have time tomorrow?"
"Yes."
"Good. I'll pick you up at 12 for lunch. You don't have to dress up."
"Ok. I'm excited."
"Me too, bye."
"Bye."