Chapter 42

* 2 months later*

Gary's POV

I was sitting in the studio with the boys. Tomorrow was Clara's birthday and I knew what I would've loved to give her for that, but I was shitting myself. 

"Gaz? Gaz? Mate... Did you even listen?" Mark said and pulled me out of my daydream. 

"Huh? What? Sorry..." I was met with three pairs of eyes and raised eyebrows.

As usual it was Jason who suspected something was up. "Gaz, what's up? Everything alright at home?" 

"Yes of course. Better than ever. It's just..."

"Just what?" 

I sighed "It's Clara’s birthday tomorrow and I..." 

"Come on. Spill it." Howard interrupted.

Jason rolled his eyes "If you wouldn't have interrupted him, he would have said it by now." 

I looked up at Mark and watched his face change as the penny dropped. "Guys. Stop talking. I know what it is." 

"What?" the other two asked at the same time. 

Mark looked me straight in the eyes, but smiled "Gaz. You want to ask her, right?" 

I sighed and nodded. 

The guys erupted in cheers and clapped on my back. "Good for you Gary. You definitely found the right girl." 

"Yeah. I know, but I have no plan how to do it. I'm shitting myself and to be honest I haven't even bought a ring yet." 

Howard face-palmed and Jason shook his head before speaking "I don't think there is anything to be scared of. She loves you, one must be blind not to see it." 

"He is right Gaz. And for the ring problem: If you want to we can go and buy one together, I happen to know a good jeweller." Mark suggested. 

I smiled "Yeah, that would be nice. Thanks guys." 

"Let's go." 

"What now?!" 

"Of course or do you want to wait until Christmas?" 

"No, no." I grabbed my coat and as Mark and I got out of the door I could see Jay and Howard nodding at each other, a mischievous grin on both their faces. "What are you up to?" 

"Nothing. You go buy a nice ring for your future missus."

One hour later Mark and I got back to the studio. I was greeted by Jay "You found one?" 

I grinned and nodded, pulling the dark blue velvet box out of my pocket and opened it. Both Howard and Jason wolf-whistled. 

"Didn't take that long. Gaz saw it and took it. Was by far the best one they had. What have you two been up to?”

Jason shrugged “Not much. But Gary, if you need help with preparing something, we’re happy to help.” 

I smiled "That would be nice actually. Thank you all very much. Feeling way more confident now."

Clara's POV

I heard the front door close. "Gary?"

"Yeah, it's me. I'm coming in a minute, just need to go upstairs for a sec!" 

I felt weird. This wasn't like him at all. But I shrugged and put our food on the table. There was no reason not to trust him if he for once didn't come in and give me a kiss first.