Chapter 19

I was already sitting at my desk at work when my phone rang. Yes we were allowed phones, as long as it didn’t affect our work.

I pulled my phone out of my bag and accepted the call "Gary?" 

"Hi. Unfortunately I have to keep this call short, but two things: First, I hope you have time on Sunday, you'll be meeting my parents. Second, prepare yourself you're invited to come with me to a party-kind of-thing next week." 

I was stunned, I didn’t expect him to drop such a bombshell onto me over the phone. "Wow. Okay... What do you mean by party-kind of-thing?" 

"Label is throwing a thing because of us releasing the new album."

I nodded in acknowledgement, even if he couldn’t see me "Okay. When are you coming home?"

"Tomorrow, and believe it or not I'm free for the rest of the week then." 

I gasped "WHAT?! Four days?!" 

"Yep. Four days and three of them only for you and me." 

I sighed "Not really, I'll have to work baby." 

"Please... I'm sure you can get time off work?"

"I'll see what I can do okay?" 

"Okay. Love you." 

"Love you too, bye."
-Who does he think he is? Oh yes, nearly forgot. He IS a popstar.- 

I rolled my eyes and let out a sigh, which was noticed by Louise. "Trouble in paradise?"

"Not really. But it seems to be that my dear boyfriend has a huge ego." 

"Oh god. What does he want?" 

"He wants me to take tomorrow and Friday off." 

"Clara, I'm sorry I can't give you the time off." Felix spoke up. 

I smiled "It's fine. I don't have to drop everything every time only because a certain pop--- uhm someone wants me to." 
I really hoped they hadn't heard that I nearly said popstar, but it seemed as if they hadn't.
They still didn’t know I was with Gary Barlow, and I intended to keep it that way, at least as long as possible, I mean, this was my workplace, it wasn’t a necessary thing for them to know.
-----

When I got back home I called Gary, I still needed to tell him that I didn’t get the time off work. The answering machine went on so I texted him. 

"Hi baby. Sorry but I didn't get the time off. Anyway, really looking forward to tomorrow. Love, C x"

I made myself something to eat and went for a walk with Hugo, took a shower and went to bed.

Normally I wouldn't do something like that, but since Gary was away I always slept in one of his hoodies or t-shirts. Made me feel warm and secure and it smelt like Gary, which was a comfort at night when I missed him.

I took a final look at my phone and saw that I had a message from Gary.

"Hey honey. Oh. Ok. Well then. :-( See you tomorrow. Love you. G x" 

My heart broke a little as I was reading that, cause I could hear his disappointment, but on the other hand it was good that for once he didn't get what he wanted. Kind of cynical from me I know, but like I said, it was good that he didn’t get what he wanted for once.

The following evening Gary and me were finally back together, and as we were eating our dinner there was a question I had asked myself for quite some time now. 
"Gary, where do you sleep when you're not at home? I mean why can't you get home for the night? You lot surely aren't as naughty and uncontrollable as you were in the 90s, are you?"