Chapter 16

Mum and I were walking into the kitchen.

"Mum?" 

"Yes?"

I whined "Please be honest."

She sighed "I like him, honestly. But it is a little bit scary to know that the own daughter is with a popstar and will sooner rather than later be in the spotlight. BUT. As I said I like him. He is still down to earth and well mannered I think. Are you happy?"

My face split into a huge grin "Yes, very much so." 

"Do you trust him?" 

"I do."

She smiled and hugged me "That's all that matters." 

I was relieved. Well kind of. "What do you think dad thinks of Gary?"

"I don't know. I think he's still a bit suspicious, but he will warm to him, I'm sure."
-----

The four of us sat at the kitchen table, Gary and me on one side and mum and dad on the other side, eating lunch. I was surprised that they weren't asking any questions yet, but mum gave me an answer to my unasked question "Edward and Sarah are coming for dinner by the way, I hope you don’t mind."

"Oh no, that’s great! Haven't seen them in a long time now." 

"Yeah, you really missed out on the kids. They have grown so fast and so much."

"Mary. She may have missed out on that but at least she spent her time on something clearly more important and better." My dad threw in, looked to Gary and winked at us.

Gary blushed slightly "I'll take that as a compliment then." 

"You better do son." 

I smiled to the ground while giving Gary’s hand a gentle squeeze.
-----

After lunch we took our cases and went to my old room.

"This is your old room?" Gary asked as we stepped inside.

I nodded "It is. I hope it's good enough for you." 

"You're kidding right? This is way nicer than my old one, so much bigger."

I looked at Gary who had a good sniff around and I was relieved that at some point during the late 90s I took my Take That and Gary Barlow posters down, that would have been quite embarrassing otherwise.

I pouted "Come here. I want a cuddle."

"Only a cuddle?" He smirked at me. 

"Let's wait until later with that, when my parents are asleep okay?" 

"You're right... Probably not the best idea."
-----

A few hours later we got ready for dinner. 

"Is this outfit good enough for meeting your brother?" 

I turned towards Gary "Very handsome. Like it. What do you think of me?" 

He nodded "Looks okay." 

My face dropped. I wasn't wearing anything fancy, but I still wanted Gary to like it. Okay wasn't a good thing, not good enough for me at least and I turned away from Gary, not wanting him to see my disappointment. 

"Hey, hey... There is just one thing missing, then it will be more than okay." And with that his hands snaked around my neck.

I gasped "Gary please don't hurt me!" 

He murmured against my ear "Shhh.... I won't hurt you. Just wanted to give you this." 

His hand went away and as I looked into the mirror I saw a beautiful golden necklace hanging around my neck, with a small golden heart-shaped pendant.