Chapter 62

Tears were streaming down my face. My world was crushed. Why, why would he do this to me. I wished it was a dream, but the little note that was still laying in the bag and belonged to the pair of knickers was clear "Thank you for everything last night. Little present for you. T x"

I just held both things in my hands, my hands shaking, I didn’t really wanna hold them, but my hands wouldn’t let go off them. 

I heard the bathroom door open behind me and Gary walking towards me. He couldn't see me though, as I was standing with my back towards him.

I turned around before he even had any chance of touching me or anything. As he saw me concern was instantly written all over his face. 

"Hey, baby what's wrong?" he said in a calm but concerned voice and tried to reach out and pull me into his arms, but I snatched his arm away and shouted "DON'T TOUCH ME! AND DON'T YOU EVEN DARE CALL ME BABY! PIG!"

He frowned "Wha...What's wrong?" 

I laughed hysterically "Don't play games with me. You know exactly what I'm talking about!"

"No I don't" Gary hissed. 

I shook my head "Two nights! And you're already off fucking other women? You really must have been missing me. Hell I'm PREGNANT WITH YOUR BLOODY CHILD! YOU BASTARD!" By now I was furious and shouting louder than ever before in my life. 

Gary was gaping at me in disbelief "ME? Cheating? Never!" 

I let out a sarcastic laugh "Yeah. And what's this? Arsehole. You have exactly one minute to explain yourself before I leave. For. Good." 

I threw the knickers and the note onto the bed and looked at Gary expectantly.
The man who I used to call my husband up until about two minutes ago. The man who I had just kissed about ten minutes ago after telling him we were having a son. The man who had just broken my heart and was now lying straight into my face. Yes, that man.

I choked "Was it all a lie? Every time you said you love me? Every time you promised me you would never cheat on me, because you couldn't bear living without me? Because I meant it when I said those things to you." 

Gary stared at the items and then at me "I swear I didn't do a thing! I've never seen this!" 

Even if I tried, I couldn't believe him at the moment "Lie to someone else Gary." 

His eyes started to tear up too "Please. I swear I didn't cheat on you! I love you! Please!" 

"Prove it" I dead panned and went out of the room. 

I didn't know where to go so I just walked towards the stairs. Realisation kicked in suddenly. I broke down, sobbing and crying while I sat down on the top of the staircase. This hurt. It really did. My whole world was being destroyed within seconds. The man who I knew was the love of my life, and who had told me and made me believe that I was his, had cheated on me, broken my heart and destroyed my life, I know that sounds hard, but it was true, he had destroyed my life.

Suddenly I felt a hand on my shoulder and could hear Gary sitting down beside me.

I shook my shoulder to signal him to put his hand away and he did, but instead of not touching me he tilted my chin towards him, so I was looking into his eyes. 

He searched my gaze and when he was sure I was looking into his eyes he began to speak in a calm way "It's not my bag." 

I choked and wiped the tears away "Then who’s is it? If it isn’t yours?" 

"It's Jason’s. We have the same one, but I must have picked up the wrong one at the airport." 

I started to sob again, but this time from the relief.

"Hey, hey, hey. Stop crying, please. Do you believe me now? Clara I meant every word when I said I would never cheat on you. Please stop. It's stress for you and our baby." He pulled me into his strong arms and began to soothe me. And it worked.

I sniffed "Gary I'm so relieved right now, I just, I..." 

"Shhh...Let's just not speak about it anymore. Please."

I nodded against his chest, holding him close to me.

We stayed like this for a while, until the doorbell rang.

"Come on. Go to the living room and relax. I'll answer it" Gary said and pulled me up. We walked downstairs together, and I continued my way towards the living room and laid down on the sofa, while Gary opened the door.

I could listen to everything. 

"Hi Gaz. I think this belongs to you." 

"Thanks. I have yours upstairs. Wait here, I'll go grab it." 

A few moments later Gary came back down "Mate. Store your little presents somewhere else."

"What are you talking about?" 

Gary chuckled "That red thing in there almost cost me my marriage." 

"Oh no." 

"Oh yes." 

"Sorry. But everything’s alright now?"

"Yes." 

"Ok good, good. Bye. See ya soon." 

"See ya."

Gary came in, sighing and fetching himself a drink before sitting down next to me.

I whispered "Gary I'm sorry."

He looked at me, a tear running down his cheek.

I was still laying on the sofa, but now I sat up and shifted closer to Gary, who pulled me into his arms and held me tightly, whispering "You don't have to be sorry, I get why you thought what you thought. But to be honest, I really thought I'd lost you for a moment, and it broke my heart." 

"I thought I’d lost you too. You want to know how I felt?" 

He nodded and shrugged at the same time "I don't know if I want...But go on, tell me..." 

"It was as if my world had broken down and as if I had fallen into this black hole." 

Gary’s grip around me tightened "I love you. Forever."