「Chapter 54」

For Phil and Sharon's anniversary, they decided to cook the Korean food themselves instead. Well, Felix and Lina. They wanted to surprise his parents. Actually, they did wanna go and eat at a restaurant, but Lix hadn't been feeling good at all in the last two days and Phil almost brought him back to the hospital thrice. And with him not feeling good, they couldn't go out. He couldn't even really get up out of bed, and if he did, the only thing he could do was sit in his goddamn wheelchair, not being able to do anything useful. "Can you marinade the meat or cut the onions please?" His girlfriend asked as she wheeled him to the kitchen counter, crouching down next to him. "I'll try." He quietly said and grabbed a knife, stupidly choosing to cut the onions. "What do we even need onions for?" "The sauce. It would be ginger if we did the original recipe, but I don't eat it with ginger so mum always made Bulgogi sauce with onions." She explained and messed up her boyfriend's hair, him leaving it like that because he was too lazy to reach up. "How much fell out?" He asked as he concentrated on his fiance, not the knife he was holding in hands. She shrugged and wiped her hands. As she did, Lix caught sight of a big ball of hair that fell off. Obviously, it was his. The hair loss had been so bad, that he now had two almost bald spots on his head that were as big as coins. That's why he always wore a hood if he was up, except now, when he forgot to put it on. Again, he was too lazy to do it now. As he kept staring at his girlfriend, who was peeling carrots, he felt a cold, sharp thing run over his index finger sideways, a hard sting emerging once it was no longer on his skin. Before he could even look at what had happened, he felt something warm run down his finger and then hand. As he glanced over, he saw that he had cut his finger with the knife and was now bleeding like crazy. "Li..." He asked and held his hand in front of her, the blood dripping down on the counter and the sink. "Oh no!" The girl said and turned around, grabbed a kitchen roll and then gave him a little piece of it. He pressed it deep into the cut, trying to stop the bleed. Surprisingly, it didn't hurt. "I think I'm gonna lay down... I don't wanna cook anymore." He growled in defeat as he wheeled over to the couch. "Why? Is it because you're not feeling well or because you cut yourself?" Li asked as she crossed her arms, standing in front of him. "Ugh I don't know, I'm just here for... Moral support. Yeah. I'm here for moral support." He went on and quietly added "It's not like I'm a use for anything else.." at the end. Lina shrugged again, walking back to preparing the food. As she was doing that, Felix rested himself on the couch and scrolled through his phone. He turned on the camera to see how much hair he lost, but his attention drifted off to something else. There was a new 'blending' feature, which he hadn't noticed before. It basically made his skin look very smooth and even, but the most important thing was: it got rid of his freckles. He quickly took a picture of himself, smiling over both ears. At first, he wanted to show it to Lina, telling her he found something that made him beautiful, but he knew how she would lecture him about being pretty with his freckles. "I miss my mum." Suddenly left his lips out of nowhere, him biting down on it to stop the noise. "Ugh sweetie I know." The girl replied without looking at him. "But she's just at work, you'll see her later, okay?" She said and Lix shot up. My mum is gonna come?! "Really?! Why didn't anyone tell me?" He asked in shock, his eyes filling with tears, not because he was sad, but because he was overjoyed. "Haha, did you think she wasn't gonna come home from work? It's her wedding anniversary after all." She said. Now, his tears became those of sadness. "I... I thought... I thought my real one... I thought my real mum, mummy, was gonna come..." He said disappointed, laying back down and putting his hood back on. Tears started rolling down his face non stop, drenching his hoodie and then pillow in no-time. He wanted to die right now. It was the worst he'd ever felt. Felix didn't realise how much he missed his mum, before actually saying it out loud, out of nowhere. "Oh Lix I'm sorry." Lina said as she approached him, trying to make eye contact, but he didn't want to. He wanted a hug, but he also wanted to be left alone. He didn't know which one of those he'd rather have. "Sorry darling, I didn't wanna make you cry like that..." She said and he chuckled. "It's just the onions..." He explained, even though it was a complete lie. Lix tried to smile, he really did, but he couldn't think about anything to make him smile other than his mother, who was the reason he was crying in the first place. "Lixie you're gonna see your mum again, don't worry. She's not dead and she didn't abandon you. Just stay positive, for Phil and Sharon's anniversary. I'm sure they won't be mad, but it wouldn't be a happy day for them if there was a guy crying on their couch." She explained as she pressed the boy's head onto her shoulder, hugging him tight with the other arm. Now, Felix wetted her shirt instead of his. Only when he stopped his sobbing for a sheer moment, trying to catch his breath, he could hear higher pitched sobs coming from right next to his ear. It broke his heart, hearing the girl cry. "Li, don't, don't cry..." He begged, cupping her face in his hands and wiping them along her cheeks, then neck, on repeat. She just nodded, two tears quickly leaving her eyes before she bit her lip. "Lix I'd really love to cuddle but I wanna finish cooking." Lina said as the boy pulled her into his arms, still crying as if the world was about to end. Maybe it was, just for him. But his girlfriend was there, why was he crying? It was usually okay, everything was fine when she was there, but now, he was being vulnerable to her. "Honey shhh, you're alright, your mum's alright, stop crying, please." The girl begged, pushing him away with ease. Suddenly, his crying stopped, looking at her red, swollen eyes. "Just help me cook, it'll be distracting." The girl suggested, her husband-to-be shaking his head. He didn't wanna do anything. He didn't wanna cry, but he didn't wanna cook either. So he grabbed his phone once again, this time randomly texting one of his contacts.