「Chapter 34

Felix hesitantly opened his eyes, being too tired to see clearly at first. Everything was way too bright in this room, so he couldn't keep his eyes open. He had had just such a good and deep sleep, he didn't want to wake up. There was something bothering him at his nose, a thing that felt like a tube with something coming out of it. “It seems like he's awake." a very familiar voice said, causing the boy to finally open his eyes. He had thought the person holding his hand was Lina, but it was his mom. He was wide awake all of a sudden, hoping he wasn't dreaming. “Mom.. Am I in the hospital again?" "Yes, you are. You've had another surgery on your knee, you can look at it. If you look at your leg, look who's sitting over there." she explained and 'reorganized' Felix' hair. He did so and saw his leg placed on a pillow with a tight blue cast around it. Also, Lina was sitting at a table just at the end of his bed. “Lina looks good as always." he said and kind of smirked while he tried to scratch away the thing on his face. Li came over to him and sat down on the bed. “Honey" she said and prevented her boyfriend from pulling out whatever it was on his face by grabbing his hands “That's an oxygen tube. You have to leave it in for some time." he nodded and started smiling again, like the days before the accident, when his life really was perfect. Back then, he was the definition of being happy and having a good life. Now he was the definition of exactly the opposite, whatever that meant. He knew what. Smiling only fake smiles, laughing only to cover up his pain. He wasn't living a seemingly happy life for himself anymore, just for the people he liked and loved. They shouldn't suffer just because he was sick. “I have to go back to work now. Bye kids, take care." Felix' mother said and with that, she left. “Look" Lina said, trying to distract the boy "You've got flowers, chocolate and even Vegemite! Do you like it?" "Yeah! Nothing goes over a Vegemite toast. Nothing except.." he pulled the girl into his arms, almost crushing her in a hug. “Lix, I've got someone coming over in a few minutes and we probably have to go outside or at least in the hallways for a few minutes, I hope that's okay for you." No. He wanted to say. He was in too much pain and too tired for visitors, but he didn't want to make his girlfriend even more worried about him. “It's fine. Don't worry about me so much, you really shouldn't. I'm doing a lot better now." he said and let go of her. They talked for a while, just about normal things. Like what Felix did when he met his friends at the dance practice. Until there was a knock at the door. “You can come in." he said while the door already swung open and a little boy jumped inside. It was Johnny, the little son of Li's cousin. He jumped on the bed and hugged his great cousin's boyfriend, who was also happy to see the little one. “Felix is so soft!" the little kid said and hugged the man tighter. It felt good, not always hugging the same person. “You're such a cutie." Felix said and carefully pushed Johnny away. The little guy was obviously as happy as his uncle to see each other. “Is that your wheelchair?" the four year old asked, slid down from the bed and walked over to it. How much Lix would've loved to say no, how much did he want it to not be one of his belongings. But it was and he couldn't change it. “Yeah, it is." "Do you still hate it that much?" "No, not really.. I think we've become friends." the boy jumped onto it. “Is it nice to you?" “It's never let me down, that's for sure. And it carries me around everywhere and doesn't complain, so I think it's pretty nice, or at least patient." The little guy tried to move the wheelchair by kicking his feet forward, making it's owner laugh. “You have to move the wheels with your hands. Try it." Felix explained and Johnny did so. It kind of looked wrong, seeing such a little kid in his wheelie. “I'll show you how to use it." Lix said and tried to put his legs onto the ground, only being stopped by the unmoveability of his left leg. He remembered that he had just had surgery on it and a cast was attached to his knee. He threw himself back onto his pillow, pressing his head into it as hard as he could. He wanted to be left alone all of a sudden. But something, or more rather someone, jumped onto his chest, sitting down on him. “Why are you crying?" Johnny asked and lied down, his hair tickling Felix' nose. “You know" Lina luckily stepped in “Uncle Felix is really tired. He just needs some sleep and maybe he can play with you after that, Okay? Just let him rest a bit."