☽︎Frayed☾︎

...

Thunder rumbles in the distance and Coach scowls up at the spotty overcast sky through the bus' windshield. He looks back and blows a quick 'toot' with his whistle when he catches a student not in their seat. "Back to your seat." The boy rolls his eyes yet still returns to his original spot, passing Boyd and Isaac on the way.

Isaac glances at Boyd who had a clenched jaw, clearly aggitated. "Stop thinking about it, man." Isaac said.

"Like you're not thinking about it too?"

"Yeah, well, we'll both stop thinking about it."

"I can't."

"Well, there's nothing you can do about it either."

"You sure about that?" Boyd looks back at Ethan who sits next to Danny.

Danny notices a slightly troubled look on the teen's face. "Everything okay?"

"Yeah. Why?" He smiles lightheartedly.

"You checked you phone three times in the last five minutes." Danny has a teasing smile.

"Waiting for a message."

"Anything important?"

"No." His playful tone makes Danny smile wider as he looks out the window. But then Ethan's smile fades. "Nothing." Ethan can't help but glance back towards the back of the bus where three teens sit. Y/n sits in the seat in front of Scott and Stiles, legs stretched over the bench as she sits sideways to look at the boys over the back. No one wanted to sit next to her because she has a reputation for being a bit intimidating, also she would glare at those few brave souls who even thought about trying. Why is she on this trip you may ask? She was worried about Scott and didn't want to leave him alone after what happened so she convinced Coach to let her tag along with the promise that she would cover any of her own expenses that may appear.

Scott leans his head against the window with a tired look. Stiles looks at the tablet in his hands as he reads vocab words to Scott. When he reads one and Scott doesn't answer he has to snap his fingers in front of the wolf's face. "Yo, Scotty? Hey, yo, Scotty?" Scott blinks from a daze and looks at his friend. "Still with me?"

"Yeah, sorry. Uh, what's the word?"

"'Anachronism'."

"Something that exists out of it's normal time."

"Nice. Okay, next word. 'Incongruous'."

He takes a moment to think. "Um, can you use it in a sentence?"

"Yes. Yes, I can. It's completely incongruous that we're sitting on a bus right now, on our way to some stupid cross-country meet after what just happened- incongruous."

"Out of place, ridiculous, absurd."

"Perfect. Okay, next word. Um, darach." Scott gives him a look. "Darach, it's a noun." He looks at Scott. "We have to talk about it sometime, okay? And we're gonna be stuck in this thing for, like, five hours, so why not?" Scott looks away and Stiles huffs. "Next word. 'Intransigent'."