Sixteen

George

"Have you packed your bag?"

Roxanne got off her chair and out her bowl on the counter so I could clean it up.

"Almost." She said with her head tilted. "Daddy, can I ask you a question?"

"Well of course, baby. What's up?"

"Can you straighten my hair before school?" She asked which caused me to immediately look at her.

"Why would you want to straighten your hair? It's so beautiful."

"No it's not." She scrunched up her nose. "I want it to be long, smooth and beautiful just like Elsie's hair."

I sighed.

"Oh Roxi." I picked her up and placed her on the counter. "Did anyone say anything about your hair?"

She shrugged.

"This boy always touches my hair and he said that it looks like I've been electrocuted." She said. "I don't want him touching my hair anymore."

I hummed.

"Alright, we still have forty-five minutes until we have to leave... I can hurry to braid it." I said and put her down again.

"Yay!" She shrieked and sprinted into her room while Fred walked out, carrying his backpack on one shoulder.

"Good morning, Freddie." I said, chuckling softly. "I see you finally got dressed. You've got forty-five minutes to eat breakfa—"

I frowned when he went straight for the front door.

"Where are you going?"

"To school."

"No you're not. Not right now. Sit down."

"I'm going to school." He repeated and went to open the door, but I summoned my wand and used it to lock the door.

"I know you're upset with me after our small argument yesterday but you do not leave this flat without asking me. You are nine years old."

"Why do you care?" He asked and turned towards me.

"Why do you mean; why do I care? I'm your father. I can't have you running around London. You don't have a phone so I wouldn't be able to get in touch with you and you are nine. Try again when you reach double digits. Now sit down, eat your breakfast and we can talk about yesterday."

"I don't want to talk!" He groaned, walking over to where his cereal bowl stood on the table.

He threw his bag on the table before sitting down.

"Well I do..." I said. "...I don't appreciate you speaking to me in the way that you did."

"And I don't care."

I sighed.

"I know you miss your mother, but her leaving is not on me."

"She didn't leave!" He yelled and looked at me. "You chased her away!"

"Why do you say that?"

"Because you yelled at her the night before she left." He said and looked down at the table. "I could hear it all. You were fighting."

I pulled out a chair by the table and sat down at the same time as Roxanne returned with her hair ties.

"You weren't meant to hear that." I said. "But that's not why she left."

"Then why did she?" He looked at me, tears in his eyes. "She loves us."

"I know she does, Freddie." I nodded. "Your mother left so she could focus on her career. I know that hurts to hear, but you don't blame me for it."