Thirty-nine

I fidgeted with the hem of my shirt as I looked at myself in the mirror.

George was watching me from where he sat on my bed, his knees spread, elbows resting against them.

His hands were folded under his chin and a small smile was spreading across his face.

"How do I look?" I asked and turned towards him.

He sat up straight, running his hands along his thighs before he stood up, pulling his trousers up as he made his way over to me.

He reached towards the hem of my shirt, pulling me closer to him.

"You look beautiful." He said softly, smiling down at me.

"Yeah?" I turned towards the mirror again to look at my clothes, then shook my head and pulled the shirt off.

I threw it on the bed as I headed towards my wardrobe. George let out a small chuckle, shoving his hands into the pockets of his trousers.

"You looked beautiful in it, Dia."

"I need to look more... sophisticated."

"You really don't." He chuckled. "It's just my family. Wear jeans and a t-shirt... no one cares what you wear."

"I do." I said. "I mean... look at you. I can't show up wearing this while you wear trousers and a dress-shirt."

I went through my wardrobe, looking for something to wear.

It was nice having my own room again as well as somewhere to keep all of my clothes.

"How about this one?" George reached over my head and grabbed a dress from the wardrobe, showing it to me. "I don't think I've seen this on you before."

I glanced at his face before taking the dress, taking it off the hanger.

"Yeah." I breathed. "I wore it for family dinners with Malcolm's family before I got pregnant the first time around. Pregnancy changes your body and I— I looked at myself in the mirror when I wore this and I looked like a cow."

"What? Come here—" he grabbed the dress and helped me put it on before tying the strings in the back.

I reached under my dress and undid the jeans, pulling them down and off before I looked at myself in the mirror.

"See, you look gorgeous." George said and wrapped his arms around my waist. "Like you always do."

He placed his chin on top of my head, smiling at my reflection.

It was a black dress that went to my thighs. It sat a bit tight around my stomach while it was more loose around my legs.

It was a backless dress, straps tying at the lower back, and then it was a spaghetti-strap dress.

No sleeves.

"No... I look—"

Before I got to react, George had dragged me to the bed, turning us around so he could shove me onto it, causing me to laugh.

He placed a knee down, pressing a hand to my jaw as he looked at me.

"I'm not arguing with you, Dia. You're stunning."

I rolled my eyes but he simply smiled before he leaned down to press a kiss to my lips.

"They're going to love you." He whispered. "And if they don't... I'll make them love you."

I wrapped an arm around his neck, smiling cheekily up at him. I then leaned up to repay the kiss, before the doorbell rang and sounded throughout the flat.

George moved off of me, letting me get off the bed. I sighed and brushed my hands down the fabric of my dress, straightening it up.

He let his hand wander across my thigh as I walked past him and out of the bedroom. I brushed my fingers through my hair, trying to brush it out a bit.

After I unlocked the door, I pulled it open and my gaze fell on the three boys standing in the hallway on the other side of my door.

Three familiar boys.

The same boys who had seen George and I have sex when I was handed the keys.

The middle boy was holding a bouquet of flowers and I couldn't help but chuckle at their nervous faces while they looked at me.

"Hi mrs—" the middle boy was the one to speak but he paused... realising he didn't have my name.

"Miss." I corrected him. The divorce was finalising tomorrow and I didn't want to go by mrs anymore. "You can call me Dahlia."

"I'm Leo." The guy holding the flowers said, before pointing to the two others. "That's Oscar and that's Finley. We noticed you moved in a few weeks ago and we wanted to welcome you to the neighbourhood."

"Oh—" I raised my eyebrows. "...thank you."

The guy named Leo, handed me the bouquet and I smiled as I put it on the small side table.

The way they looked at me made me want to laugh. They seemed to nervous yet so excited at the same time.

"So, are you single?" The guy named Oscar asked and Leo immediately swatted his arm.

"Dude!"

I turned my head to the side as George joined me. He showed up behind me and wrapped an arm around my waist, looking at the three boys.

"Who's this?"

"A welcome committee." I said with a small smile. "They live in the flats across the street."

The boys faces turned into horror as they realised I recognised them. They hadn't told me where they lived, but I knew. I had caught them staring as George and I fucked.

"Ahhh... the horny kids from across the street." George said. "Don't worry, boys... I was a teenage boy once too. I know what it's like to contain your excitement when you see a beautiful woman naked."

The boys didn't say anything — just stared at us in fright which made George chuckle.

"Just one question—" George stepped forward. "...do your mums know you spend your time peeping through windows?"

"Well— I—" the three started stuttering as they tried to come up with their individual explanations but they were talking over each other so I didn't get a thing.

George removed his arm from around my waist and moved it up to rest above his head and against the door.

"Now, I hope you don't mind me stealing her away. I know she's beautiful and she's all mine."

George shut the door in their faces before turning towards me with a cheeky smile on his face.

"You're being rude."

"Yeah?" He grinned and wrapped his arms around my waist, backing me up until my back hit the kitchen counter.

He duck his head and kissed me softly, his hands dropping to the back of my thighs. He dug his nails into my flesh and then lifted me, putting me on the surface of the counter.

He ran his hands back up to cup either side of my neck while I moved a hand into his hair, the other going around his waist.

His lips moved slowly with mine, kissing me with passion until he broke the kiss to press his lips to my neck.

"George—" I breathed. "...we have to go soon."

He hummed against my neck and sucked my skin in between his teeth.

"All I need is five minutes."